1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

two HD crashes in 4 months?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by painterskip, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. painterskip

painterskip Thread Starter

As the subject line implies, I've now had 2 HD crashes in 4 months. I'm running a Lenovo PC with SATA drives. Here's the thing...both times it was my secondary drive. The original drive is fine...so far.

The first time this happened, I had 3 drives hooked up. My C drive, a 2nd drive connected to the SATA connection on the MB, and then I had an external drive enclosure (USB). First, the drive in that enclosure stopped. The bios could find no sign of it, even when I connected it directly to the MB. It will spin for a few seconds and then stop.

The second time this happened (today), the drive was my 1T Seagate that is relatively new. I had earlier performed a Photoshop batch script that adjusted about 700 photos on that drive. All went well. And hour later, I got a BSOD. I allowed Windows to perform the startup thing (I forget exactly what it said) and it couldn't because it could not access the drive. Every time I would try to start the PC, it would go BSOD. Until I disconnected that 2nd drive. Then the PC started right up...no problems. Tried connecting the 2nd drive again and it can't see it. The drive spins up but can't be found.

So my question is, could the onboard controller, or something else (power supply?) be causing this or is it simply a coincidence that I've lost 2 drives in 4 months. I don't think I've lost 2 drives in the previous 10 years:)

Ideas? Thanks in advance....

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, it is possible your pw supply is failing. Have you monitored the voltages to see if it is going up and down?

Do you have any other stability problems ie freezing, reboots, etc?

3. painterskip

I did download a program called Belarc Adviser and another I had called SpeedFan. I ran both and neither found much wrong at the time, although looking at the results right now, I see that Belarc isn't applicable and SpeedFan is showing the ICH temp at 78C....I have no idea what ICH is, but apparently SpeedFan thinks it's too hot.

And hopefully I'm not making this more complicated, but it seems that the BSOD issues started shortly after I subscribed to the Adobe PhotoShop CC service...and that version has given me some problems....like running out of memory warnings, something I never had a problem with when using previous versions. But I doubt it would cause a HD to fail.

Everything else seems to be fine.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Check your temps/voltages in the bios. Speedfan very often returns flaky data. If you cannot access the the info in the bios, you can give hwmonitor a try.
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Your problem can also just be low quality drives. Just like any other part, you can buy high end drives and you can buy cheap drives. Generally the better drives have a 5yr warranty and the lower end ones 2~3yr warranties.
    Here is an example of a good quality drive; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236625
    Here is an example of a cheap, low end drive; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339
    Notice both drives are 1TB however the more expensive one has a 5yr warranty vs a 2yr warranty.

In addition the black series drive has dual motor supports and dual processors.

5. painterskip

Thanks very much re the info on the hard drives. I kind of had a suspicion that some drives were better than other drives, of course, but never thought to actually look at the warranty.

So taking this to a possible logical conclusion...that being that both hard drives may have been cheap and/or just plain wore out.
    At the moment, neither drive is seen by the bios, which I know is a bad sign. At least the one that crashed today spins up....but still no sign of life. Oh...it WAS very hot right after the crash.
    Anyone with any experience having data recovered professionally?

6. replay

replay

Not sure what kind of case that lenova PC has..... But are the drives right next to each other...is there enough air flow thru the case to cool them??
    Hot, overheated hard drives = short life

7. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Power or (SATA) controller.

8. painterskip

My apologies for not responding sooner. Not sure if anyone will see this now but there's been an odd change of events with the hard drives. I was gone for a couple weeks and when I returned, after several days of thinking about this, I decided to dig out my external USB hard drive enclosure. I plugged in the latest HD that died, a 1 TB Seagate, and...viola! It's back!

When it 'died', or now I should say, disappeared, it was connected directly to the MB via the SATA cable. I've not yet tried a new cable because I'm afraid to mess up the drive.
    So my question is....could the problem be the MB? Could the OS be the culprit?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

More likely a failing mb controller than an os problem.

10. painterskip

Thanks. I was afraid of that, although, I'm glad that I was able to retrieve my data from at least one of the drives.
    Now to decide how to proceed with replacing the MB. I would like to upgrade that and the CPU.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!