1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two IP's over single DSL line

Discussion in 'Networking' started by FredR5k, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FredR5k

FredR5k Thread Starter

I am trying to set up two fixed IP's over my DSL line. My ISP has assigned two Fixed IP's, with a unique username for each. I have a Speedstream 5100 DSL modem in bridge mode, which connects to a Switch, with two 3COM Office connect routers into the switch. Each router is configured for one of the IP's. Either router works with the other switched off. (so both IP's and logon's are good, all the hardware is talking to each other , etc) So it may seem that the DSL modem can only handle one IP transmission at a time? Anyone had experience with this modem or experience with another DSL modem (as a bridge) that can handle two (or more) IP's simultaneously?

Thanks for your help.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, it's not the DSL line that's the problem, you can be pretty sure of that.

You say that either router work without the other one. This only indicates that you have a single public IP address.

Try connecting two computers directly to the switch on the modem, see if both can obtain a unique public IP address.

3. FredR5k

FredR5k Thread Starter

Both IP's are working, I had tested this before my original post. Each static IP has its own username and each router has its WAN set to one of the the two IP's/usernames. So each IP can be logged onto with one of the routers. I tried your suggestion and by connecting two PC's directly to the switch I can get different IP's.

Yes I agree that it's not the phone line, you can have many IP's down the same DSL line. In the documentation for the Speedstream 5100 it refers to a 5100b that has ethernet and USB and indicates that two connections can be established. My 5100 is ethernet only. Do you think it's likely that the modem, in bridge mode can only pass through one IP? If so, could the answer be as simple as installing another 5100 in bridge mode, running the DSL line to each and their ethernet connections to the switch?

Thanks again for any wisdom you can provide here.

4. JohnWill

Your modem has a built-in NAT layer, so when it's not in the bridged mode, it acts like a router, and supplies multiple IP addresses in the 192.168.x.x range. When it's in the bridged mode, it supplies ONE public IP address, that's why it doesn't work.

5. FredR5k

FredR5k Thread Starter

Makes sense, thanks. Do you think the two modems in bridge mode would work , or would they conflict with each other??

6. JohnWill

You can only connect a single DSL modem to a line. Even if the bandwidth was available (which it isn't), the telco CO wouldn't recognize the second connection.

There's no reason you can't run the modem in it's normal mode and connect the two routers. I presume you want two routers to separate the two network segments, perhaps for two groups or companies? The only issue will be if you need to port forward for any server type applications. You can obviously put one of those secondary routers in the DMZ of the primary modem/router, but the other one would be limited to non-server applications. That's find for almost any typical Internet usage, so it might work.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487451

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice