1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

two keys not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by csatennis, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. csatennis

csatennis Thread Starter

I can't type the keys that aren't working because they don't work. but they are the question mark and the letter after Y.

I removed one of the keys to see if there was some obstruction there. There wasn't. Then the keys worked again - BOTH of them worked. Then, both of them again stopped working. This doesn't sound like a physical problem. Any solution at all out there.... I have a Toshiba Satellite 64 bit with win7

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Dave Trusted Advisor

Sometimes if the screws that hold the keyboard in place - see bottom of laptop - are tightened too hard or unevenly it can stress the keyboard and keys don't register.

Try slackening them a little and doing them up again evenly and not too firmly.

3. csatennis

csatennis Thread Starter

No luck....and probably if that were true other keys would have been affected and probably it would have shown up when I first purchased the computer.

4. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

not a solution but may help while finding a solution
    start>all programs>accessories>ease of access> on-screen keyboard

5. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

An external USB keyboard may be a work-around for you. At least if the keys on it always work, you know the rest of the laptop is good to go. Keyboard replacements are generally very easy and the keyboards very inexpensive to buy a replacement. Novice, or not, odds are high you can find a how to replace the keyboard video on you tube, or step by step from a google search. After seeing them, you can decide if it is something you should try at home.

6. SpectresShadow

SpectresShadow

Are you using the same computer with keyboard problems or a different one to post, cause it looks like your U, A.K.A. the letter after Y is working just fine. Unless by the letter after y you mean z, or you are using a dvorak keyboard, in which case I have no clue which key comes right after y.

7. csatennis

csatennis Thread Starter

i meant the letter in the alphabet after y

8. SpectresShadow

SpectresShadow

OK. Just checking, cause some people use that to say u. If your keyboard is like the ones I have taken apart, then it could be that the trace lines for the buttons that aren't working are cracked between the button and the control board. How old is your Toshiba? Is it still under warranty? If so either send it in for repair, or get a replacement.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1064704