1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

two machines having the same ip addresss

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vinayagam, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vinayagam

vinayagam Thread Starter

hai guys,
    is it possible to assign two machines with same ip address. actually i my house, i have internet connection, and i have about 3 systems, and my internet service provider is giving only single ip address to connect to net . the ip address is 203.124.215.15. I can connect to the internet only through this ip address. but i want all the machines to be connected to the internet. I tried with proxy servers ie.,wingate like that, but once i install the client software of my isp , my proxy doesnt work.
    for this reason i have contacted my isp (internet service provider) to give me one more ip address, but they said that they cannot do it.
    so anybody kindly answer my question, is it possible to assign the same ip address to two different machines in same network. otherwise is there any eqipment to act as an proxy server(hardware material) which can be used inorder to share the internet between my machines

2. Del

Del

No, if you have 2 machines with the same IP address, you get an IP conflict. The 2nd will not connect. If you can only get 1 IP address from your ISP, you can use a router.
    It will get the IP address and assign IP address, internally, to your computers and will work fine.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It would help to know what kind of connection your cable modem is making to your system, USB or Ethernet.

If it's Ethernet, the easy way is to buy a $40-50 broadband router, it uses NAT and allows you to have as many machines as you like connected to the Internet, mine is currently allowing seven of them to connect. :)

If you have USB, you'll have to use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the one that is connected to the modem to allow multiple Internet connections.

4. contsi

contsi

Go with a router, I belive the host machine has to be on for ICS to work.............

5. Del

Del

Sometimes even if you have a USB modem, the ISP will change your modem to an ethernet modem. Won't hurt to call and check if you don't have an ethernet modem already.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice