1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

two modems for one internet connections

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mselinger, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mselinger

mselinger Thread Starter

I would like to use two modems for one time warner account. It is more convenient for me to use two modems than to use a wired/wireless router, because the coaxial cable is already wired throughout the house. Installing a wired router would involve drill holes. I can not do this.

So my question is: Is it possible to program the same id into both modems if I buy another one. Or any other suggestions that will solve the problem.

In other word, can I change the mac address on one of the modems, so they would both have the same Mac address?

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

The MAC address is a hardware address and usually can't be changed.
    Using 2 modems would require paying for 2 accounts.
    Your options would probably be wireless or powerline networking.
    Sounds like a couple of decent powerline networking
    adapters would be what you need.
    One would connect to the router and one to the other computer.
    They would use the houses electrical wiring to network.

3. mselinger

mselinger Thread Starter

Since I have two Time Warner Modems, if I was able to change the second modem to have the same MAC address as the other one, would it work?

If it is hard coded, is it possible to change? And if it is possible to change, how would you?
    If not I think the powerline connection would do it.

Thanks

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It will not work. You're tilting at windmills here, there's no way short of paying for a second cable account to use two modems.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/951235