1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two Monitor on Dell B110 XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SVTCobraLTD, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SVTCobraLTD

SVTCobraLTD Thread Starter

I have a Dell B110 computer with Windows XP. I just a bought another monitor and want to have two monitors setup side by side. The second one would be an extension of the first main monitor. The video card only has 1 hookup for the monitor. The only other hook up looks the same as the blue connector but is a male one instead of female. Any ideas on what I need here?

When I click on desktop and go to display properties, it gives me the option to have dual monitors but says I have to connect the second monitor before selecting that option. So the video card must support it??

2. SVTCobraLTD

Can I connect a monitor via the serial port?

Or is there an adapter to make the monitor connector plug into the usb ports like the new monitors do?

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

No, you can't connect a monitor to a serial port. They may look similar, but the technology is completely different. Monitors don't connect via USB. They connect to video adapters. If your computer only has one output, you either need a second video card or one new one that provides support for multiple monitors.

4. SVTCobraLTD

My new monitor has an extra plug end on the back of the monitor. It has the regular plug for the monitor and then this one (shown in the attachment). Can I plug something into that to jump to the other monitor?

Attached Files:

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Your computer needs to be able to support two monitors. If you only have one video card with one monitor output, it isn't going to work. There's no simple adapter, changer, cord, or anything you can buy to make this work other than a second video card or a new card that supports two monitors.

6. SVTCobraLTD

What about this?? http://www.staples.com/office/suppl...=home&cmArea=SEARCH&catalogId=10051&langId=-1

My computer says all I have to do is connect the other monitor for it to work. But obviously I cannot due it only having one video output. I do not see the reason why the above item would not work for what I am trying to do. Unless that is going to not give me two screens and instead will give me one large screen.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!