1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two Monitors?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by danieldevaney229, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. danieldevaney229

danieldevaney229 Thread Starter

I have a Pc(Gateway) that has a 8600 gt video card. As of now i am using a video spitter in one of the two slots that my card has. I have two monitors and both work. But my second monitor is not detected and i cant extend my desktop to it. Is it because its ran through a splitter on a card that has two ports?

2. BG-0

BG-0

Most propably yes.. It also might be that the splitter is intended for reverse purpose than you're doing. Try connecting the other monitor to the other port... That should solve it.. You might need a DVI-to-VGA converter, but most propably 8600GT would come with one.(Duh, Gateway, not self-built) They shouldn't cost too much.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can't use a splitter to extend the desktop. You need another video card or one that supports dual displays.

4. danieldevaney229

danieldevaney229 Thread Starter

My video card is supposed to be explicitly used for dual monitors....my good buddy has the same card and runs two monitors. He uses both ports and that is why i was wondering if you HAVE to use both ports. Am I mistaken?

5. BG-0

BG-0

Yes, you HAVE to use both ports. One port per display.

6. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

If you want 2 monitors, with an extended desktop, each monitor displays a different image, ergo you do need to use both ports.

7. BG-0

BG-0

Each ports sends a signal that is for "the one display" that is connected to that port. You can have two monitors connected to the port(by a splitter or so), but it will detect them as one moitor.

8. nate93

nate93

ok, its like this... your card should have 2 vga ports. connect one monitor to one port. connect the other monitor to the other port. turn your computer on. configure the settings.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753366

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice