Two Monitors?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

danieldevaney229

I have a Pc(Gateway) that has a 8600 gt video card. As of now i am using a video spitter in one of the two slots that my card has. I have two monitors and both work. But my second monitor is not detected and i cant extend my desktop to it. Is it because its ran through a splitter on a card that has two ports?

Most propably yes.. It also might be that the splitter is intended for reverse purpose than you're doing. Try connecting the other monitor to the other port... That should solve it.. You might need a DVI-to-VGA converter, but most propably 8600GT would come with one.(Duh, Gateway, not self-built) They shouldn't cost too much.

DoubleHelix

Banned
You can't use a splitter to extend the desktop. You need another video card or one that supports dual displays.

danieldevaney229

My video card is supposed to be explicitly used for dual monitors....my good buddy has the same card and runs two monitors. He uses both ports and that is why i was wondering if you HAVE to use both ports. Am I mistaken?

If you want 2 monitors, with an extended desktop, each monitor displays a different image, ergo you do need to use both ports.

Each ports sends a signal that is for "the one display" that is connected to that port. You can have two monitors connected to the port(by a splitter or so), but it will detect them as one moitor.

ok, its like this... your card should have 2 vga ports. connect one monitor to one port. connect the other monitor to the other port. turn your computer on. configure the settings.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online