1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two Motherboard Failures

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AaronN95, Oct 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AaronN95

AaronN95 Thread Starter

New computer builder here.

Built a desktop following closely with Carey's Fall 2016 Gaming Computer Build video (great walkthrough by the way).

Specs:
    ASUS Z-170A
    Intel i5-6600k
    Corsair 8gb DDR4 2666mhz
    Corsair CX750 PSU
    EVGA Geforce GTX 960
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Worked fantastic for a year almost exactly. Then one evening the computer restarted. Rebooted. Then died. The mobo power led stayed lit but would not turn on. No fans. No post. No anything.

I assumed power supply. Bought an EVGA 500W to troubleshoot. No change.

After checking each component, removing all peripherals, and just trying to get a boot I finally sent the mobo back on RMA. They swapped it. I installed the new one. Used the Corsair 750 power supply. Heard a pop on power up. And now same result. No boot.

Did I make a fatal mistake using the original PSU. Or could some other component be frying this mobo?

Extremely frustrating.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Did you get the exact same motherboard with the swap ? Have you tried the EVGA PSU with the new board ?

3. AaronN95

AaronN95 Thread Starter

Same board. I did afterward. Common sense says I should have attempted to use it first. Unfortunately I didn't.

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Try removing the Graphics card and connecting the monitor to the motherboard graphics connector.

5. AaronN95

AaronN95 Thread Starter

Just attempted. No post. Seems second mobo is definitely toast. Oddly still shows green power led.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Can you do another RMA for the motherboard ?

7. AaronN95

AaronN95 Thread Starter

That's my goal.

I'll do another inital start outside of the case with the secondary evga PSU I have, using the onboard graphics. And troubleshoot from there.

I'm thinking it's either the PSU, bad case standoffs causing a short circuit, or the GPU.

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Sounds like a good plan.

You should confirm the standoffs are all in the correct places first, before putting a motherboard into the case.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218119

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice