1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two Nice Freeware Utilities

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Wallenberg, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wallenberg

Wallenberg Thread Starter

I recently found a really nice utility to sort files and folders. I have been wanting to find something like this for a long time. All of the file and folder sorting utilities I have seen (before this one) sorted files and folders temporarily and displayed nice lists of file and folder names. But, after the utility finished the file order reverted back to what it was before the utility ran. I wanted to sort files and folders permanently but could never find any tool to do that.

Folder_Sort is the first one I have found that sorts the files and leaves them permanently sorted. It is very nice. It has a lot of flexibility and lets you specify parts of your directory tree to sort and has some nice options about the sorting. It allows sorting ascending or descending of file names or extension names and of course, it sorts directories as well.

Here is the link where the author makes his freeware utility available for all who would like it.

http://www.jetman.dircon.co.uk/software/foldersort.html

I like it very much. It's a nice clean tool.

Also, another very nice clean utility is this one called Set File Date. You have probably seen one or more of these. They are not very rare.

The following is a link to version 2.0 of Set File Date. It is very flexible allowing a wide range of options. I can't imagine any way you might want to set file dates that this utility won't do. If you download it, I hope you will enjoy it:

http://www.no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/

I am posting the link to this utility because I just went through a one hour frustrating session trying to copy some files and set the dates to the current date and time. I had a lot of difficulty doing that until I remembered that I had this utility to help me.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Thanks, but that is some really old software.....

FolderSort version 1.1: runs under MS Windows 95, 98 and presumably NT

3. Wallenberg

Yes. I know. But the link I provided is for Folder_Sort 2.0.

It still is old. But it does everything I need.

There are some utilities that were created once and worked perfectly and there was never any need to upgrade them.

Do you have any recommendations wrt some more modern file sort utliities? If you do, I would love to check them out.

4. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

"Yes. I know. But the link I provided is for Folder_Sort 2.0."

I do not see any reference to "2.0" on the page of the link. Please ck and advise.

{redoak}

5. Wallenberg

Sorry. My mistake. It was the SetFileDate program that was v2.0.

You are correct about Folder_Sort. The current version seems to be v1.1

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice