1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two Operating Systems on the same system help !!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stecks, Dec 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stecks

stecks Thread Starter

I just finished up an install on an offline computer i have ... but for some reason it has it's previous OS which is 98 but on the largest of the HD's is XP Pro ... how can i get rid of all the 98 files on the other HD's so there nothing of 98 left????

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think you made a strategic error when you installed XP. Since you installed in a different partition from the original O/S, it's not on the C: drive. You need to install it on the C: drive or you'll forever be regretting having a non-standard conjuration with XP on a different drive letter. Also, you need some boot files on the C: drive anyway, so you can never fully clean up that mess. :)

3. stecks

stecks Thread Starter

ok ok here is the thing it's my dads old PC and we've been talking about upgrades so i did the best thing i could i bought a full version of XP Pro and did the install but i didn't notice it till have that i got it installed on 40 gig but hey that HD has more room than the other two that are currently in computer... i think it wasn't too bad to have it installed on the 40 instead of the low sized main HD in it... now would it be possible to just that 98 HD out and put it else where or should i just leave it in there and jus boot up XP instead of 98 ? Because i don't really feel up to sitting once more and doing an install on the C drive that has 98 on it

4. Dan O

Dan O

You can leave Windows XP on the other drive, but Windows uses a hidden System Partition on drive C: to boot the PC, but if the drive C: is ever removed or goes bad you will not be able to boot the PC. So it is a pay be now or later sitution. Pay being your time.

The best solution is to remove all the older hard drives and make the new drive be drive C:. Then reinstall Windows XP and have it delete the existing paritions on the drive, to refresh it . After completing it you can add the older hard drives for data and backup. You can then delete the Windows 98 folder to free up most of the space it used, or copy the data off of it and format it to regain all the disk space.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/428807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice