1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two OS's on same machine?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by gskywalkers, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gskywalkers

gskywalkers Thread Starter

Is it possible to have two operting systems on the same machine and if so, what would I have to do to accomplish that? Right now I have Windows ME, however, I want to purchase Miscrosoft Front Page 2003 when it comes out this month but it wont run on ME so I am kinda being forced to buy and install XP in order to run Front Page 2003.

On the other hand, I spent over a week installing a personl web server on ME and I hate to just toss that down the drain as I use if frequently to test web pages that require the Front Page 2002 Extensions to make them work.

Any and all ideas will be appreciated.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Is your hard drive partitoned right now?

3. gskywalkers

No.....it is not partioned. I have two drives, a 40gb C drive and a 15gb D drive, neither of which are partioned

4. ~Candy~

Well, you have some options, including formating.......or you could use a partioning program like Partition Magic and make a partition on the larger drive, then install XP onto the same drive and dual boot......or you could put XP onto its own hard drive........

5. gskywalkers

So step one is to buy Partioning Magic?

6. ~Candy~

There may be some freeware software too, but Partition Magic is the one that I would trust if you don't want to reformat anything. I just used it on a 120 gig drive and it worked like a charm.

7. john1

john1

Couldn't you put ME on one hard drive,
    and XP on the other ?
    Dunno how you would switch between them though.

8. ~Candy~

If ME is on first, john, then installing XP would create a bootloader that would give you a menu on startup to choose which OS you wish to load. I've only installed to the same hard drive, but I would think that should be an option for dual hard drives.......

9. john1

john1

Thank you AcaCandy,

Would XP create this menu with a choice,
    if there were any other OS on the machine,
    or just for ME ?

Do other OS's do that - create such a menu,
    if there is another OS on the HD ?

Would ME do that, if XP were on first ?
    Could such a menu choice work for three OS's ?

So much to learn, so little brains ....
    John :)

10. ~Candy~

No, ME has to go first. I did it with 98, already had it installed, then installed XP on a different partition. Not sure about booting 3 operating systems, I know I had a bad install of XP on one partition and it gave me two XP choices and one 98 choice.

And yes, XP creates the menu.

11. john1

john1

Thanks AcaCandy,

I will have to read up on that stuff,
    Cheers, John :)

12. ~Candy~

13. gskywalkers

Thanks AcaCandy......more than enough for me to look at tonight :) I imagine before I get this all done, I will be back !!!!!

14. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Also keep in mind the relationship between FAT32 and NTFS. NTFS can read files on a FAT32 partition, but not the other way around. If you never share a file between the two OS's there wouldn't be a problem, but this is unlikely.

This would probably mean that you would have to install XP on a FAT32 partition.

15. ~Candy~

Yes, another good point NH. I did mine on Fat 32 :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168915

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice