1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two pane Explorer view missing fix

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by Byteman, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten Thread Starter

Hi, Today, I fixed a problem for a friend....they had used winME's System Restore to roll back a few weeks in time, and that seemed to work OK except for a few small setting changes in Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer, tho) The tree view of drives and folders that used to appear on the left pane was gone, and in it's place was a grey box with an X, and no amount of Folder Options or View changes would return the left pane....so I looked around the Net and one place said edit the Registry....nope I said.....and one other said to reinstall or upgrade Internet Explorer, which still did have the 2 pane view....this didn't make a lot of sense, but it was getting late, so I took a chance, but first, I was going to roll back Internet Explorer- decided to try the IE Repair tool first, and it worked! I had the regular two pane window back in 3 minutes, as opposed to the 2.5 hr download with the dial up modem....not bad!!! You can toggle the Folder view from two pane to single, but that is not what had happened...it was blank on the left, and I saw one site that someone had it blank on the right side...reinstalling, or Repairing IE is most likely what you need to do.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119222

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice