1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

two PCs conflicting somehow???

Discussion in 'Networking' started by likewowdude, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. likewowdude

likewowdude Thread Starter

Here's the setup:
    Windows 2000 server running DHCP and DNS, got about 15 clients, using a linksys wireless broadband router with 4 port switch to connect to internet. Everything on same subnet, all addreses assigned by DHCP. Everybody on the network is fine except for two stations.
    One station is a wireless XP Tablet the other is a hard wired PC. The NIC MAC addresses are different and the IP addresses are different, however, when one of these two devices is working the other one is not.
    Any ideas? I'm usually a pretty good troubleshooter but this one has got me stumped.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Are the computer names the same?

3. likewowdude

4. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

Have you tried to release/renew either of their IP addresses?

5. likewowdude

yes, I even created a reservation on the server for the PC, and it retrieved that address but still could not ping gateway. I thought it was a problem with the linksys wireless broadband router, so I picked up a new wireless access point, disabled wireless on the linksys and ran it like that, but same problem.
    I'm going to try replacing the network card in the PC next.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!