Two PCs, Two monitors, ONE KB/Mouse?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ten0000?

Hi,

Is there any way possible to be able to use 2 PCs and monitors with just one keyboard & mouse?

thx

Ten0000?

I looked into that option, but they're only for use with one monitor.

Ten0000?

Thanks, all. I think I'll give some more thought to using one monitor. The other options aren't all that appealing to me.
'ppreciate the help,
t

Ten0000? said:
I think I'll give some more thought to using one monitor.
It might help us if we understood why and how you had in mind using two monitors. Normally, using a single monitor with multiple computers makes life simpler. Are you wanting to use one monitor with one computer and a different monitor with a second computer while sharing the same keyboard and mouse? Or are you wanting to use two monitors in a Dual Display setup with multiple computers?

with the switch, is not possible to just connect the keyboard and then connect the two computers mouse inputs to the switch w/out worrying about the monitor being shared?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
TripleJayD said:
with the switch, is not possible to just connect the keyboard and then connect the two computers mouse inputs to the switch w/out worrying about the monitor being shared?
Yup, you don't have to use a monitor with the KVM switch if you don't want too.

another option could be to remotely connect to one computer and then you could do a split screen type of thing. that eliminates any additional hardware purchasing.

IAPC said:
It might help us if we understood why and how you had in mind using two monitors. Normally, using a single monitor with multiple computers makes life simpler. Are you wanting to use one monitor with one computer and a different monitor with a second computer while sharing the same keyboard and mouse? Or are you wanting to use two monitors in a Dual Display setup with multiple computers?
Yeah, because if it's one monitor for each computer, and a shared keyboard mouse, synergy would be perfect. If you want dual display on each then you have problems....but you could, have dual display on one, and single display on the other...which is what I may do. just split one monitor so the machine is dual display on one, single display on the other through a KVM.

Triple6 said:
Yup, you don't have to use a monitor with the KVM switch if you don't want too.
Right, but depending on the KVM switch. My D-Link 8-port switch (which I do not particularly like) uses on-screen display for navigation between computers. If one of your monitors is not connected to the KVM switch, life will be difficult. On the other hand, my 4-port Iogear switch does not rely on on-screen display, and should work fine in this scenario.

if your wanting to use two pc's two monitors and one keyboard and mouse, you can. you'll need a KVM Switch and a Monitor Spilter. its a little box with 2 or more plugs for sliptin up the monitor signal more then once. now hooking it may be a little complex lol, but take your time and have fun. i seen them used in cars with more then 1 screen

rollnw24inkmc said:
if your wanting to use two pc's two monitors and one keyboard and mouse, you can. you'll need a KVM Switch and a Monitor Spilter. its a little box with 2 or more plugs for sliptin up the monitor signal more then once. now hooking it may be a little complex lol, but take your time and have fun. i seen them used in cars with more then 1 screen
Yea, but that just mirrors the screen, doesn't give you a dual display in the sense of having a larger desktop.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online