1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two Personal Folders in Outlook 2000

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by rascellian, Apr 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rascellian

rascellian Thread Starter

This morning an extra Personal Folder appeared in Outlook 2000, I'm not sure why. Two personal folders are listed now, the first one is completely blank. It appears to be an exact duplicate of Outlook 2000 default folders, but nothing is in it.

The next personal folder contains all of my emails, contacts, etc.

At first I thought this was not a big deal, because I can just minimize the first personal folder and ignore it.

However, when I compose an email now my contacts list is empty. Outlook seems to be trying to pull contacts from the first folder list.

My operating system is Windows XP.

How do I fix this without losing any emails or contacts? This is a corporate laptop, so it is imperative that I not lose any data.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Disconnect the 2nd (empty) personal folder from your Outlook Profile.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If that fails which it often does, I've had to delete and then recreate the profile. An easy way is to just copy all the current information (Name, e-mail address, user id, password, pop and smpt servers and PST file location) to a text file. Then you can just paste it back in again.

4. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Bob, This person is probably using exchange server and not pop3 account.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Either way, I've seen the same symptom with the same solution needed.

6. rascellian

Thanks for the help. How do I do this?

I found this solution on the Microsoft Newsgroups.

Close Outlook | START | CONTROL PANEL | MAIL | SHOW PROFILES | Click your
    Profile | PROPERTIES| DATA FILES | click the duplicate personal folder |
    REMOVE | YES | CLOSE | CLOSE | OK
    Start Outlook and they will not be present anymore

However, when I click on Mail in Control Panel (with Outlook closed) it just brings up my Mail accounts, like if I had clicked on Tools > Accounts in Outlook. There is no option to Show Profiles. On my Desktop it is there and it is a completely different screen, I'm not sure why it doesn't work on the laptop.

Anyway, any help is appreciated.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

8. BannerGuy

BannerGuy

Question... is your personal folder stored on a network drive? I see this problem often and its a problem with laptops when they do not find a network location for a personal folder they create one by default on the c drive. When the CPU is reconnected back to the network, you get two mappings... one to your network drive and one to your c drive that was created when you logged onto the computer off the network. I have been looking into a resolution for this issue too, but as far as I can determine... this is the cause of the issue. *waits for bob's input*

9. rascellian

The personal folder isn't on a network drive.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The resolution that has always worked for me is to simply delete and then recreate the profile. Have you tried this yet?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!