1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two problems. Static I.P Address not static + Incredibly slow network t/fer speeds

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bandyandy, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bandyandy

bandyandy Thread Starter

Hi folks,

This is my first network setup and i am hoping someone can help me with some issues. The setup is as follows:

Router: Netgear DG834GT ADSL

Computer 1: (Known as Maude)

Desktop
    Celeron 434MHz CPU
    512 Mb RAM
    XP Home SP2
    Wired to Router
    Has USB Hard Drive that i want to use as a central data file storage space for the network.

Computer 2: (Known as Myrtle)

Desktop
    AMD Duron 1.29GHz CPU
    512Mb RAM
    XP Home SP2
    ASUS WLAN via USB

Computer 3: (Known as Martha)

Laptop
    Celeron 1.86 GHz CPU
    512 Mb RAM
    Vista Home Basic
    802.11g Mini Card Wireless Adapter

Computer 1 is in the living room and is used for email/browsing/word processing/IM and other relatively low demand applications and is the most likely to be switched on, hence the Networked Drive being attached to it.

Computer 2 is primarily the hub of my Recording Studio (grand name for a cobbled together hobby type affair) but is also used for email etc. It is located in an outbuilding but is no more than 7meters from the router and gets signal and link strengths that rarely dip below 50% and more likely average 65%

Computer 3 is my wifes college laptop and is only really part of the network so she can use the printer attached to computer 1 and back up her files on the networked drive.

All 3 computers communicate.

The biggest problem is the data transfer speeds between Computer 2 and Computer 1.

Computer 3 connects to both the other computers at the sort of speeds i would expect/hope (i.e.i click on a shared documents folder on computer 1 or 2 and there is a pause of 2 or 3 seconds and then the folder contents appear) .

Data Transfer between Computers 1 &2 have taken place at speeds of up to 30KBs (yes that is Bytes not bits) but this is extremely rare. More likely are speeds averaging 1 KBs.

The other problem is that, having set up static internal addresses on Computers 1&2 (to facilitate port forwarding) there seems to be some sort of battle going on inside Computer 2 whereby it struggles to connect and then reverts to taking on the IP address provided by the routers DHCP. (The static address on computer 1 has remained consistent) Even when Computer 2 is set to obtain an IP address automatically it keeps connecting and disconnecting every 20 seconds or so until, after much persuasion, i get it to remain connected.

Any hints/suggestions or even painkillers for my headache will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, if you assign static IP addresses, you MUST assign them outside the range of the router's DHCP address pool. Wireless interference will play havoc on wireless communications, and if you're doing any volume of data transfers between the machines, I strongly suggest wired connections. Have you tried changing the channel on the router to see if that affects the transfer speed?

I suspect that one of the issues with Computer 2 may be that you have the WZC and a 3rd party wireless client running at the same time. If you're using the Asus wireless client, make SURE the WZC in Windows Services is disabled.

3. bandyandy

bandyandy Thread Starter

Many thanks for your prompt response John,

My router interface states that the starting IP for the DHCP address pool is 192.168.0.2 and the ending is 192.168.0.254. Do i understand you correctly if i change the ending address to 192.168.0.100 and assign static IP's in the range 192.168.0.101 to 192.168.0.254. ?

Cheers,

Andy

4. bandyandy

bandyandy Thread Starter

Hello again,

Just been to computer 2 - WZC was stopped already but i disabled it anyway, however it is still not maintaining a connection (or even acquiring an IP address). Would it make sense to use WZC instead of ASUS? (and if so how?)

As for wireless interference, surely that would affect all transfers similarly and therefore the fact that Computer 3 is consistently achieving acceptable speeds rules that out.

5. bandyandy

bandyandy Thread Starter

Hi John,

Decided I didnt need to be told how to use WZC instead of ASUS and went and uninstalled the ASUS utilities/drivers etc, restarted the WZC service and reinstalled the WLAN drivers. Computer 2 has just transfered a 10Mb file from the Network drive whilst playing music stored on the network drive all at consistent data transfer rates between 20 and 100KBs. I guess there must have been a glitch in the ASUS utilities. It also seems to be keeping its assigned IP address. Could this be solved????? I shall leave it a day or so (cant do more tonight anyway) and see if it stays this way before marking it solved.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sounds that way. FWIW, your previous question about the DHCP pool was correct. Normally, the DHCP address pool isn't set to encompass the whole class C range, mine happens to be exactly what you specified, 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.2.100. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/640015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice