Two problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xIchix

Well, I have two problems.

My computer randomly restarts. It just does it whenever, and I dunno how to fix it. A bluescreen flashes for like, half of a second, then it restarts.

And then..
Every time I play a fullscreen game, it closes after about 5 minutes. How do I fix this?

Your computer is BSODing on you, but you have it on "Automatically Restart" so it doesn't allow you to see the content of the BSOD message.

To be able to view it,

• Right click on My Computer
  • Click Properties
  • Click on the Advanced Tab
  • Click on Settings under Startup and Recovery
  • Make sure the box for Automatically Restart is unchecked
  • Hit OK

This will prevent your computer from automatically restarting and you'll be able to see what the message in the BSOD is. Copy down the code number along with the error message and what file is causing the error. Make sure to grab all the stuff under Technical Information.

Use this Wikipedia article as a guideline:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_screen_of_death

I'm not sure how to answer your second question. Let's tackle the first one first, as it may relate to your second issue.

xIchix

Someone on another forum told me to do this, and instead of restarting, it just BSODs and then makes me restart it.

That's pretty much the entire point. You want it to BSOD on you and stay like that for a minute. This allows you to write down all the information from the screen (error code, what is causing it, name of error, etc.)

That way the next time it happens, you can write all that down, and then come back here and post that info. That way we can figure out what's causing it and how to fix it. :)

Please get all that info and tell us what error you are getting.

xIchix

Ah, it just did it.

it said under the technical information part:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E
*** nv4_disp.dll

I hope that's enough.

xIchix

And then, it usually says DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

It looks like your BSODs are caused by a driver issue- specifically that file, nv4_disp.dll. That is a video card driver for a NVIDIA card, which is what I assume you have. Your video card driver files may have gotten damaged or corrupted. Try updating your video card to the latest drivers through NVIDIA's site. That should repair the .dll that is causing your BSODs.

This also has some info:
http://byronmiller.typepad.com/byronmiller/2005/10/stupid_windows_.html

And check for over heating...

Remove a side from your case, and let a fan blow in.. Not real close of course.. but you get the idea..

If it works, or even works longer, your card is over heating..

Yeah it definitely looks like some kind of video card problem (video cards tick me off- mine's dead I think, gotta have it replaced).

Drivers would be the first thing I'd try, then check for video card overheating. It has something to do with the card. I'm pretty sure about that.

xIchix

Well, I'm updated on the driver part. My little brother was looking into it and he read that you have to slow your gpu, ram, and something else to make it work right.

That's just what he told me. And if that is the problem, I have no idea how to do that.

well you shouldnt have to underclock your video card unless its overheating. After updating drivers try to game and stuff see if you crash. But if you wanna downclock you can install coolbits to allow you to edit the clock.

xIchix

I think it might be an overheating problem. I opened the case and I could actually play the game for a good 10 minutes.

Getting a fan back there might be hard, though.

How would I underclock it? Any guides?

Try cooling.. underclocking will hurt game performance..

Fan back there?... Pull your PC out so you can get to it.. It may be full of dirt/dust.
Your vid card may have a fan on it.. If it's dirty or has stoped working, it needs to be fixed..

Why underclock if it's just heat... Get better cooling and the whole system will work better..

If you have bad cooling you may be risking your processor too..
GET IT FIXED!!!...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online