1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

two questions-- maintenance & wallpaper

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by leezso, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leezso

leezso Thread Starter

hello everyone!

i'm not sure when this was, but maybe sometime in August? or September? there was an excellent post that had tips on how to maintain your computer to ensure it to run smoothly etc. i printed that post out, but now i can't find it.. and i'm not even sure where to start looking for this post.. does anybody remember who posted it? Or what the subject was called?

also-- for my wallpaper, i set a picture on my wallpaper by accident (thereafter, i changed it!! )and now everytime my computer starts up, the picture shows up and then when everything loaded, the new wallpaper loads. its really annoying. how do i get rid of it?

Thanks
    Liz

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Liz
    I am not sure which thread you are referring to about system clean-up so you will have to use the search feature to review possibilities if someone does not remember it.
    However on the wallpaper problem.......

The intermediate screen you are seeing which has the different wallpaper is defined in the default desktop. The easiest way to change the default desktop if default is not an option from user log in select is to modify the registry.

The key you need to modify is located here:
    HKEY_USERS\Default\Control Panel\Desktop folder and the subkey in the right pane is called Wallpaper.

If you need help in using the registry editor then let me know and I will give instructions.

Dave

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

Here is screenshot of my default wallpaper in the registry......

Dave

Attached Files:

4. TheJoost

TheJoost

Hi Liz, I think the threads you are looking for list a link for burzrq or brzurq or something like that, it gives advice on cleaning up and maintaining your system. Your wallpaper issue is a simple one to fix, windows remembers the last wallpaper you had, and when you change it to something new it moves it and uses it for the load and unload screen. Just go back into wallpaper and set it to none, or windows, or whatever you want to see first, and click apply, then change it again to what you want to really use and click apply, then reboot! I can't speak for xp but 9x works in this manner. (y) :D

5. leezso

leezso Thread Starter

yes, i found it! yay! but what do i do to modify the key??
    do i delete the value thing?

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Liz

To change the wallpaper using the registry editor navigate to HKEY_USERS\Default\Control Panel\Desktop folder
    Right click the Wallpaper value in right pane
    Select Modify
    And change string value in this case from C:\Windows\Indian1.bmp to your picture for wallpaper in this case I used C:\Windows\Liz.bmp

Note: You can use any .bmp image that resides in you C:\Windows folder

See attachment.

Dave

Attached Files:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173409

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice