1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two RAM sticks and one is different

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MattGranger, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MattGranger

MattGranger Thread Starter

Hello folks, I just took advantage of a deal at my local Best Buy and went and purchased two packages of Kingston ValuRAM PC2- 4200 512MB. This is the same kind of RAM that I had already put on my board.

My computer does recognize that I now have 2G of RAM. One thing threw me a little off on it though. When I opened the packages for the RAM, I found that the 2nd stick looked very different from the first.

I'm about to sound like a completely computer illiterate person here, but the difference was that on one stick it had the rectangular chips on one side and some square chips on the other (same as the other two 512 sticks I had in there). However, the 2nd stick only had the square chips on one side and was blank on the other. I was comparing the stickers on the chips themselves and all the numbers seemed to match up. Is the 2nd stick just a newer design or something? Is this anything to worry about?

On a related note, i've tried researching Hyperthreading on the web and on Wikipedia but can't find the answers i'm looking for. Does Hyperthreading have anything to do with the RAM sticks? One of my friends was telling me that these sticks might not run Hyperthreading and it had to do with the sticks being identical or from the same batch. What is required to run it and how do you turn it on or make sure it is working? My processor is a Pent D 3.4 dual core and my motherboard (ASUS P5NSLI) says it supports it as well.

Thanks for any help

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Hyperthreading is in the CPU, not really RAM related.

Perhaps your friend was talking about dual-channel RAM?

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sounds like one is defintely in error. you say these are the same because they are 4200 Kingston? I'm afraid they are the same only when model numbers are the same. Kingston make a lot of ram models and you need an exact match which it sounds like you do not ahve.

4. MattGranger

I was pretty sure the model #s are the same. The packaging looked a fraction different because of an ad for shutterfly on one. Otherwise, I thought they were the same.

Both sticks listed "KVR533D2/512R" on the stickers and on the packaging. Is this the model #?

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes that is the model number but obviously something is wrong. I have seen the same model number from different batch numbers (time periods) not work before.

6. MattGranger

The thing is...as far as I can tell, both of the sticks are working fine. When I pull up the system specs in the my computer properties, it says that I have 2G of RAM

My only concern is that one of them looks very different from the first on the chip layout on the stick itself. It may not actually be a problem or mean anything, I was just wanting to make sure

7. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Unless you are using dual-channel, it doesn't really matter. Your chips can be slightly different.

Hyperthreading is a technology that lets your processor act like two independent CPUs. In your case, you *are* using hyperthreading on your Pentium-D processor. (This is the dual-core part of the Pentium-D.)

By the way, if your motherboard supports dual-channel RAM, make sure you set it up correctly. You should have an even number of slots for your RAM. If you have 4, they should be different colors, usually blue and yellow. Make sure you put the chips in the same color slots. That is, if you have two yellows and two blues, make sure you use one color or the other. If you don't, you will get the 2GB of RAM, but you will not be using dual-channel.

Courtney sends....

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Hyperthreading is not for dual core cpu's...it works with single core cpu's to mimic a dual core environment.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading
    As for it doesn't matter if your chips are different, you really need to qualify that because in most cases it really does matter and with each advance in technology, mixing different types of ram becomes more and more unlikely to work.

9. MattGranger

Thanks for all the info. Do you need to do anything to get it to run Dual Channel?

When I got the first gig of RAM I did put one of the 512 sticks in the 2 same colored slots. When I bought the next 2 512 sticks, I put them in the other colored slot. Does the fact that I have one slightly different RAM stick mean that I won't have dual channel at all on the board?

How much of a speed difference does it make to have dual channel?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice