1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two routers, 1 network?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by webchris, Aug 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. webchris

webchris Thread Starter

I am currently on a T1 connection for my network. I have a server setup with dedicated IPs from the T1. I also connect to the server from my local network. I have recently gotten Comcast Cable for faster speeds for my network, but want to keep the T1 for the server and to server as a backup ISP. I purchased a Dual WAN router, but am having trouble switching over and letting my Server use the T1 while my PCs use the Cable.

So here's what I'm thinking. Can I have my server on its own router looking at only the T1, have all my PCs on the dual WAN router, and have them all see eachother?

Here is a picture to hopefully show how I'm setup now and how I am envisoning this. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. Sponsor

3. Moirtien

Moirtien

There is to little information to answer the question.
    Generally speaking it seems possible but it depends on the IP adresses you get from your providers, how/if NAT and internal addressing is configured, capabilities of the routers etc.

4. webchris

webchris Thread Starter

Router 1 is a Edgewater 4500
    Internal IP: 192.168.199.1
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Router 2 is a Cisco RV042
    Internal IP: 192.168.199.2
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0

I have 3 dedicated IPs from my T1 and 5 dedicated IPs from my cable. Both routers are using pretty much standard configuration right now but Router 1 has a few ports forwarded for the server. Router 2 has VPN capabilities and I want to be able to utilize that.

I have been doing some research and think it may be possible to go from my routers to a switch, and connect all the PCs on my network to that switch. I would have to turn off DHCP on one of the routers and I should be able to manually assign any PCs to the other router. I will attempt to test this at the first opportunity unless anyone has any other suggestions.

5. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

I see nothing wrong with what you're looking to do. As long as the server has the IP address of Router 1 set as its default gateway, then there won't be any issues there. I assume the server has a static IP set which is always best practices for any server. For the PCs, they should have Router 2 set as their default gateway. Ensure on Router 2 that the router with its dual WAN connections only uses the T1 circuit as a failover connection and not to do a round robin load balance.

6. webchris

webchris Thread Starter

Thanks for the response! If you don't mind me asking, why do you say use T1 only as a failover and not for load balance? I was reading about load balancing with this particular router and was planning to try it, unless thats a bad idea.

7. webchris

webchris Thread Starter

Update:
    I cut off DHCP on router 2, and put a switch below router 1 and 2 and am manually setting the IP/gateway for any PC I want on router 2. I wish I could have done router 1 this way, but I am unable to access the configuration and turn off DHCP, since a previous IT person routed all the port 80 traffic to another IP.

My problem now is, I have some people in my office who use laptops from home that I want to put on router 2. But if they take their laptop home and plug up to their LAN they are going to have to edit their settings to connect to their network. Is there a easy way to do a manual gateway if it is available, otherwise do automatic?

8. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

Well, I suggest you figure out how to get into router1. Because, you may not need to get into it now. I can almost guarantee you'll need to later and it'll probably be at the worst moment.

As for the DHCP issue, it's better to get the network configured properly which means getting into router1 and disabling the DHCP server on it. This will allow all PCs to just run DHCP minimizing configuration headaches.

The reason why you don't want to use your T1 connection in a load balance pool is the huge speed disparity between your it and your other broadband connection. I don't know if this dual WAN router has enough intelligence to properly select the correct outbound circuit for best performance other than doing a simple round robin.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1011589