1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

two sata drives:

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tronic592001, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tronic592001

tronic592001 Thread Starter

I got two sata drives connected, and have cloned the system drive to the second sata drive (no problem)

but can i boot from ether drive!!

in my bios i tried to disable my system drive and enable my second drive to boot, ok done that but when windows XP home boots it boots back into the system drive not the cloned drive.

ive done this with sata to pata, then gointo my bios and can boot from ether one. but not with two sata drives, is this posible!

2. tronic592001

3. saikee

saikee

I think so as I am doing it all the time.

You need to swap the cable so that you system Sata is connected to Sata0 and your clone drive is connected to Sata1. My M/B always boot Sata0 first.

As my hdds are in caddies I just pull them out and exchange their positions. Being lazy I rather spent £19 per set of mobile rack for the Sata than opening up the case to fiddle with the connections. The mobile rack for a PATA is only £5 each. It is the best thing since slice bread.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You should not have a problem, however if you restart with both drives still connected, you will probably encounter drive letter issues.

Once the clone process is complete, you should shutdown and remove the source drive and connect just the destination drive.

5. tronic592001

thank you all for the replies;

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/387291

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice