1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two simple questions about music ripping and music CD-R's

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by FusionSlayer, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FusionSlayer

FusionSlayer Thread Starter

First: I recently had all my cds stolen and am now having to replace them by burning copies of them. I went out and bought some "Music CD-R" to see if it makes a difference. I only bought like 30 as a trial, but haven't used them yet. So the question is, does it actually matter if you use the music specific ones or can you use the normal data CD-R's with no loss in quality?

Second: What is the best program to just rip CD's? I have an older version of Nero but it doesn't seem to like working on XP a lot. Right now I'm stuck using WMP to upload them at 192k and then burn them back on with that. Any suggestions are quite welcome.

2. kath100

kath100

3. kath100

kath100

to answer your first question second, normal cd-r will do just fine.

4. FusionSlayer

so there really is no difference between CD-R's designated for music and the rest of them? -- thanks for other answer

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I use CDex myself, though there are tons of options.

6. FusionSlayer

johnwill i will go with your program cause you've helped me probably 85% of the time i've posted here in the last year

I'm really curious about the music CD-R thing...how can they label them differently if there is no difference

7. john11m

john11m

The music Cd-rs are designed to use in those standalone CD recorders (which probobly cost as much as buying an old 600 mhz computer with a cd burner built in ;) ). If you would have one of those, you'd probobly need to buy music cd-rs for it to work consistantly. (or maybe regular cd-rs would work fine and the whole "music" thing is just a marketing ploy for more $$)

8. i hate ram

i hate ram

use CD-DA audio ripper/converter/burner.... veeeeerrrrry good program!

google it.

9. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

The way I understand it to be is that the "Music" CD-Rs have had a Royalty Fee paid to the RIAA. Technologically there is no difference.

10. napoliandynamite

napoliandynamite

Yep this was part of an agreement between the equip manufacturers and the RIAA, they would slap on a fee on every batch of "music" cd-r's to compensate for the projected loss of revenue from using the component recorders. The computer cd-r's dont have this problem because ostensibly these discs were supposed to be used as data storage media like floppy discs.

11. FusionSlayer

so basically i was owned. woohoo.

12. jameso321

jameso321

Music CD'rs

I have to use them for my MP3 player in the car.

Using data CD's produces poor results even if I burned them at 1x.

#############

My case is not too common I think though. I have an original version AIWA MP3 cd player in the car.

################

It seems like the player in the car just doesnt have trouble reading these "music" CD'rs.

##############

I always thought that there was no technical difference, but there is something going on there.

I am not a novice computer user or anything either and I have used various media for CDR and DVDR etc etc.

jameso321

13. jameso321

jameso321

http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq07.html#S7-17

Here is one answer.

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I use standard 80 minute "free after rebate" CD's for my CD changer in my Audi, works like a champ.

15. MSM Hobbes

MSM Hobbes

Excellent reference to the www.cdrfaq.org/faq site! Much valuable info there.

In my burning of back-up CD's, I too came across this question - all that I talked to said the same thing: there is no discernable difference between the "music" and the "data" blanks - but! always check both your own burner and player on a few burnt CD's to make sure all works good on your own system.

As to program, I'm still using Easy Creator 4 from Adaptec, on a PlexWriter 8/4/32A... yea, I know, its slooooooooooow, but, hey it works, and will upgrade when I buy new Mac this summer - and then turn this one over to the wife... ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221630

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice