1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

two system backup methodolgy

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by weeGeordie, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. weeGeordie

weeGeordie Thread Starter

I've got a new client who wants me to configure a desktop/laptop setup for him. Money is not a big issue. He has been working with a single laptop and recently lost his power bar which took almost a week to replace. He was unable to work for that week. He is now ultrasensitive to RAS.

He intends to use the desktop when in his home office, (3 out 4 weeks per month), and take the laptop with him when travelling.

He wants the laptop to mirror his data from the desktop and to restore from the laptop to the desktop when returning from a trip.

I'm considering networking the two systems in the office and using something like Backup MyPC on the laptop to collect the data from the desktop. When he needs to travel it should be as simple as packing the laptop and going. Once he gets back there will need to be a process in place to restore the data to the desktop.

Is this logic sound or flawed? Any recommendations for software, hardware, techniques, etc? Thanks ...weeG

2. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

if im following you, which im probably not, are you meaning a synchronization type tool?
    there are software programs for this, and im almost sure i saw a freeware program for it on download.com just yesterday...

3. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

4. DVOM

DVOM

You can do that with the "briefcase", in fact that's what it's for. Assuming the complete data files are on the desktop this is what I do:

Network the two machines. Create a new briefcase on the laptop and name it "work" or whatever.

From the laptop, find the desktop data files/folders and drag them into the briefcase on the laptop. It'll take some time to copy into there. (I make separate briefcases for each program's data folder. That way a single corrupt file doesn't take it all)

Now on the laptop you've got to use the data files in the briefcase when working. Whatever programs you're wanting to sync have to use those data files.

Then to sync the files, network the machines and open the laptop briefcase. At the top menu click "briefcase" then "update all". That'll compare and update the files on the desktop.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Personally, I think Briefcase sucks, and there are tons of inexpensive 3rd party alternatives. I like BeyondCompare myself, it's very flexible.

FWIW, I just setup a backup scheme for someone in a similar situation, they wanted to carry data from home to office and back. I used Beyond Compare, a USB thumb drive and they just sync all their files between the two machines with one keystroke.

6. DVOM

DVOM

johnwill, will that program work from one HDD to another within the same machine?

Also, how large of data bases can it handle? A project I'm working on is using 10G+ folders. I could cut this down to "recent" and 'archive" folders and just sync the recent.

7. weeGeordie

Thanks Kerri Ann. Sounds like you have the idea. The laptop is only used when on the road. Is it synchronization? I'm not sure. What is the difference between synchronization and backup?

Thanks ...weeG

8. weeGeordie

Thanks DVOM. I'll consider the briefcase option as well, although I don't remember hearing anything nice about briefcase in the past.

Do you know if that process can be automated? The client does not want to do any IT work. He's a pharmaceutical consultant and wants the technology to be transparent to him.

Thanks ...weeG

9. weeGeordie

Thanks johnwill. I'll test BeyondCompare also.

Thanks ...weeG

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, I use it to sync a 25gig archive with zillions of files, and it has no trouble with that. :) Yep, BC works on the same machine, over the network, or using FTP to sync your website to the master copy. :) I have a script for most of my backup chores, it's a one button task, double click and it's off. I check the log to see that everything went OK. It also has options to do a CRC or binary compare, once in a blue moon I do a manual data compare to make sure nothing is corrupted on the primary or backups.

BC is a bit daunting when you first look at it, but it's quite powerful.

11. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

one difference between backup and sync- some backup programs save you space by only backing up the neccessary files, while sync can give an exact copy, and "update" even.

12. DVOM

DVOM

johnwill, Thanks. I think that's exactly what I need for this project.

BTW, would you care to post that script you use? Just to give me an idea of where to start.

TIA :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice