1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two Towers?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Del Monte, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Del Monte

Del Monte Thread Starter

Is is possible to connect a second tower to another PC. Like Networking? Will Windows 98 work with XP? My older system is on the brink and I wondered if there is a way to save the information on the older harddrive. Or would it be better to just pull the harddrive and connect it to the newer PC? Can that be done? How, is the next question? Thanks.

Del

2. lightnb

lightnb

If your XP machine has an extra drive bay (physical slot) and a spare IDE channel, you should be able to put your old drive in the new machine, and use it as is, or just copy the files from the old drive to your new machine, and then remove, or format and use the second drive as a second hard drive.

Is your intent to have two working machines, and move the files from the old to the new? or do you not care about the old machine?

What are the specs on both the old and the new machine, i.e. ram, CPU clock speed, and HDD capacity?

Do they have network cards installed in them?

When you say it is on the brink, what do you mean? Is it just running really slow, or is the hard drive making sounds? Does the machine sound normal when you boot it?

XP will network with 98, but if you don't have the hardware already, and you only need to transfer data once, it might not be worth the cost of networking hardware.

If your going to continue using the second machine in another capacity, say in a kids room or something, then networking might be the way to go, since you can share one Internet connection on two machines.

Also, if the old computer can handle it, you might try putting XP on it. XP is much more intelligent when it comes to networking, and more intuitive.

Let me know,

Nick

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    it's possible via network cards. But if you are looking to add it to the new machine, you will need to set the jumper (little square) on the old drive to slave and connect it to the wire that has the other drive, which should be master. Now it will depend on how the new machine is setup though, but that's the general idea

4. pronute

pronute

Easy way to do it is first on the old machine make a folder on the C Drive, not the desk top or my documents right on the C drive, name it old stuff, then start filling it up with all the files you want to keep by dragging and dropping them into your new folder, once your done with that pull the drive and temporarily install it in the new computer by removing the ribbon cable and power lead from your master optical drive, the hard drive can just hang on the cables, or if you have room just rest it ontop of the optical drive for now, it wont hurt anything because this is temporary; boot up the new machine drag and drop the new folder to the C drive of the new machine once its loaded shut down, disconnect the old hard drive then reconnect the optical drive. Then you can explore the old files in the old stuff folder at your own pace.

5. Del Monte

Del Monte Thread Starter

The old PC is a 400 Mhz P2 with 128meg of RAM and 13 gig harddrive, running Win 98se OS. The newer is a eMachines AMD Atholon 2600 with 512 of RAM and 80 gig harddrive. Neither has a network card. Although I did purchase one to install in the old PC, not realizing I'd need a second for the new PC. By on the brink I mean, close to dying, freaking slow. No new noises to speak of just tired. I considered a upgrade for the RAM but $80 from Crucial.com seemed a bit steep for an 6 year old PC. Would networking be a easier route? Aside from installing a couple of networking cards and a patch cable. Wouldn't that be the same as connecting that old harddrive to the new PC?
    Thanks.

Del

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    pretty much. with a 13Gb drive, i would assume it's close to full capacity. That might explain the slowness

7. Del Monte

Del Monte Thread Starter

To be quite honest. I have never used more than 6 gig of the hard drive. And yes, I've done all of the usual stuff as far as maintaining and dumping the junk that accumulates on a PC. As well as a defrag. regularly.

Del

PS. Interesting quote, Tidus4Yuna
    By comparision, the liberals scream when we loose one soldier in battle today. But no one seems to remember when we lost 100 or more in an hour 60 years ago. Sad.

8. pronute

pronute

It would go faster and free to use my sugestion, however you can do it the slow more expensive way you'll need two 10/100 NIC cards and a cross over cable, name the old computer ( old comp.) create the new folder in your old computer put all the files in it, set up your new computer as host, then shut down booth computers, connect the cross over cable and boot both computers up at the same time, on the host computer look for the old computers C drive in 'MY COMPUTER', then drag the new folder over to the new computers C drive,

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Del Monte, that is true. In fact I didn't even know that the game was kinda in sync on the real Joe S. and that he said those words...

One thing to note is that Windows XP can see the Windows 98 drive, but Windows 98 cannot see the Windows XP drive if you install the hard drive disc into the new machine. However they can see each other if it was on a network. Strange but true. Like I said it all depends on what you wanted to do with the other machine.

As for the last post, I'm wondering if you need another 128Mb because I think the recommended for Windows 98 is 256Mb.

10. lemondrop

lemondrop

Just another suggestion:
    If you don't feel like pulling apart 2 computers, tearing out hard drives, or installing NIC's, you could always go with a USB solution.
    Something along the lines of this.

Personally I would take out the HDD and slave it. But if you don't feel comfortable working with hardware there are other options.

11. Del Monte

Del Monte Thread Starter

Rather than pull the old drive I'm going to try the Network cards and connect them that way. I'll keep you all posted.

Del

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    (y) good luck and give us a shout if you need help.

13. Del Monte

Del Monte Thread Starter

When we last left I was about to install a Network Card into my old PC (Win98) tower. The install went smoothly. To my surprise the newer PC(WinXP) already had a 10/100 Ethernet card installed. That is the same thing right??? Now for what I did. I think I screwed up with the older PC. After installing the drivers, I didn't recall the wizard asking to name the "new" location. I connected the two with the Network cable and went through the setup wizard on the new PC. But how do I locate the old one to share it's files and printer. And why is the darn thing wanting to connect to the internet? I use Dial-up with no prospects of ever getting high speed out here. (Too far from the trunk line, so I'm told). I don't have the monitor connected to the old PC. I didn't see the need. The information inside of it is all I want. Do I need to do something else to get these two working together? Do I screw up or what? Will I need the monitor connected to the old one? What do I need to do over? Thanks.

Del

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331684

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice