1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two Versions of Windows on the Same Machine?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Wet Chicken, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken Thread Starter

Does anyone know if it’s possible to use two different versions of Windows XP on the same machine? I have the English version installed now, and I need to install the Japanese version for someone else who will be using the same machine.

How can I do this?

2. brianF

brianF

You should be able to dual boot them as long as you install the second version to a different partition than the first. After the install windows should give you a boot menu screen at start up asking which operating system you wish to boot.

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I have no experience with XP; but, experience with Windows 2000 tells me you will need a boot manager other than the one that comes with Windows and you'll have to put the installations into separate partitions.

I use System Commander for my boot manager. There are other good ones, though.

4. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken Thread Starter

Ok I have Partition Magic, and it shows that my C: partition is "active" and "Primary". If I put Win XP in my D: partition will I have to make it active and/or Primary too? I thought you could only have one primary partition at a time?

Also, I have heard of System Commander, but who makes it?

Thank you.

5. Rockn

Rockn

PM has it's own boot manager...why get another one??

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice