1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

two video cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by youngstown, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. youngstown

youngstown Thread Starter

hey i have a video card which is a ..STANDARD PCI GARPHICS ADAPTER (VGA)
    that one is connected to the mother board.. not a PCI or AGP slot..
    then i got a CIRRUS LOGIC 5430/40 PCI card from another computer and put it in my empty PCI slot and also intalled the drivers..

so basically i have two video cards on my win98se computer..

but in my computer in properties in the DEVICE MANAGER section.. it show that my CIRRUS LOGIC card cannot work because..

"Your computer's display driver will not work with Multiple Dsplay Support. Contact your hardware vendor for assistance in obtaing a display driver that will work with Multiple Display Support."

i cant contact them because i got this from another computer. i guess..

so what can i do?

i tried to take out the old video adapter and put the monitor cable in the new one but put the monitor wont display..

help i really want a better card than the one connected to the mother board..

ps. this computer is 6 years old.. thats why the old video card is connected to the mother board..

please help!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :( :( :) :)

2. rrlr420

rrlr420

did you disable the onboard video card? You can do that through systems hardware in the control panel.

3. youngstown

yes i just did the and put it on add-on video card.. it worked but my display froze right in the middle after the "windows 98" picture came up..
    whats up with that?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You really need to disable the onboard video in the hardware. There may be a jumper on the motherboard or a setting in the BIOS setup.

On the otherhand, you onboard video just needs a driver if its showing as Standard VGA. It may be just as good or better then the Cirrus card.

If your computer is a brand name system, like a Compaq or DELL, find its model number and download the driver from their support site.

If its a custom built system use Everest to identify the motherboard model.
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3
    Look under Motherboard -> Motherboard -> Motherboard name. Then go to the motherboard manufacturer's website and download the driver.

You can also post the model numbers here for assistance.

5. youngstown

mine was not custom built it is an american company called XCESS..
    i did change the bios settings and like i said it worked but froze in the middle..
    ill see the name of my mother board and serach for it on the website.. but i cant see anything about it in the website..

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322380

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice