1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Two XP machines through Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TheMadcap, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheMadcap

TheMadcap Thread Starter

Hi everybody,

I got a problem that I just haven't been able to figure out. I have to windows XP machines and I am trying to network them through a linksys 4-port DSL/Cable Router. The One machine is a laptop the other is a desktop.

Here is the problem. On the laptop, I am able to ping the laptop IP address and the router IP address, but the desktop does not return a signal, I get a timed out error. The router sees the desktop and assigns an IP address to it. When I ping the router from the desktop it gets a signal, when I ping the laptop, it gets a signal, when it pings itself, it does not get a response. I can access the router through the web Browser from the desktop. The other strange thing is on the laptop I can see the desktop in the workgroup I assigned to the network, but I cannot access the desktop.

I tried changing ethernet cards in the desktop and I get the same behavior so I assume it is Windows. I ran ipconfig/all on the desktop and I notice that under Windows IP Configuration the node type was unknown. That struck me odd since on the laptop the node type was Peer to Peer. Does anybody have any idea whats going on? Is there some setting I am missing on the desktop? I have run the network setup wizard for a computer hooked up to a residential gateway, is that the wrong network type? Thanks for any input

2. Del

Del

Have you tried pinging 127.0.0.1 from the desktop?

3. TheMadcap

TheMadcap Thread Starter

Can you tell me what that does? I am at not at home right now and won't be able to try it till tonight.

4. Del

Del

If will ensure the ping command is at least working.
    Did the desktop ever work right?
    Did you try connecting the desktop directly to the modem?
    Do you have a firewall on the desktop, other then the one that's part of XP?

5. TheMadcap

TheMadcap Thread Starter

I will try that ping command tonight.

I have been able to ping from the desktop to the router and the laptop.

Actually I don't have the cable modem connection yet. It is being installed on Friday. I thought I could get a jump by networking the computers before hand so I can just transfer the service to the router when its all connected. We will see if it working properly when they try to install internet directly to the desktop.
    If not they will have to install it on the laptop.

The Desktop has not been networked through LAN before.
    I made sure the Windows Firewall was turned off and no proxy settings were set. Are there any windows settings I can check that would prevent the laptop from accesing the computer, or would prevent a recieved ping command from completing?

6. Rockn

Rockn

And if you can ping the other PC or laptop try to do a search for the other PC by IP address. If you can find it that way there is probably an issue with NetBIOS not being bound to your network adapter. Do you have file and printer sharing installed as well?

7. TheMadcap

TheMadcap Thread Starter

I ran the ping 127.0.0.1 from the desktop and the request timed out. What do I try now?

8. Rockn

Rockn

The NIC and the other network components aren't installed correctly.

9. Del

Del

This will reset the tcp/ip in Win XP, try it first..
    Hit Start > Run and type in "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without the quotes. Then click ok, you'll see a dos screen flash.
    Reboot and try it.

10. TheMadcap

TheMadcap Thread Starter

Ok, first off thanks for helping me out, it is greatly appreciated.

I was able to get the NIC in the desktop to accept pings last night. Turns out someone had installed Norton Net Security on it and it contained a Firewall. After I uninstalled it though, I was still unable to access the desktop from my laptop. I can ping back and for between the two. I can see the desktop and the laptop in my workgroup on the laptop, but the desktop only lists the desktop. When I reboot the desktop, it doesn't even see itself anymore. Maybe this problem might sound familiar to someone?

I just don't know what to do anymore, I can't seem to get the computers to file share with TCP/IP or the IPX protocols. Should I try NetBEUI?

11. Del

Del

NetBeui is what I use for printer and file sharing between Win ME and XP. Here is how to install it on xp.
    The files necessary for installing the NetBEUI protocol on Windows XP are Netnbf.inf and Nbf.sys. Complete the following steps to install NetBEUI:
    Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive and browse to the Valueadd\MSFT\Net\NetBEUI folder.
    Copy Nbf.sys to the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\Drivers directory.
    Copy Netnbf.inf to the %SYSTEMROOT%\Inf hidden directory.

NOTE: To make a hidden folder viewable, perform the following steps:
    Click Start, click Run, type Explorer, and then press ENTER.
    Click Tools, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
    Under Advanced Settings, click Show hidden files and folders under the Hidden files and folders Folder.
    Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.
    Right-click the adapter you want to add NetBEUI to, and then click Properties.
    On the General tab, click Install.
    Click Protocol, and then click Add.
    Click to select NetBEUI Protocol from the list and then click OK.
    Restart your computer if you receive a prompt to complete the installation.
    The NetBEUI protocol should now be installed and working.

12. TheMadcap

TheMadcap Thread Starter

Morning everyone,

Just an FYI I was able to install NetBEUI on both machines and now they are happily sharing. Thanks for all the help

13. Del

Del

Hey, glad we could help and happy to hear you're puters are talking to each other..
    Have a great day

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119678

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice