1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

txt issues

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Copernicus, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Copernicus

Copernicus Thread Starter

When converting .doc documents to .txt I'm finding that, when I again retrieve the document after saving it and then returning later, things like columns have moved out of alignment, chosen fonts have been overrule in favour of default assignments, centered text has moved to the left, and the document is a general mess. These documents are to be e-mailed and .txt was suggested as the format least likely to produce a scrambled mess at the recipient's end. Right now the mess is on my desktop. Is there any way I can persuade .txt to leave what's been put there in the document alone and not apply its own rules to what's being saved?

2. MadDogMugsy

MadDogMugsy Guest

When saving to txt from doc (or any other formats), formatting will be lost and replaced with the closest rendition plain 'ole text can recognize. It does not have the capability to do anything other than simple text functions. You can not 'recover' formatting once it has been converted.
    (Open Notepad ... click on Edit - this is the limit of formatting for .txt)

Suggestions ...
    - create the document
    in Notepad
    in your eMail message
    in 'whatever' and send as an attachment

Personally, I have never had much luck eMailing from Word and always create in there, but send as an attachment.
    Dreamboat is the Word Goddess and she can help you with sending eMail successfully directly from Word ... this thread might help you http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117845

What eMail application are you using?

cheers
    MDM

3. Copernicus

Copernicus Thread Starter

MDM, I normally run Outlook Express and attach files as .doc's. The business with .txt files arose as a consequence of a consultant's article about some attachments decomposing during transmission and arriving as indecipherable junk. The belief expressed was that .txt files had the best chance of arriving intact. I've always sent .doc myself. The losses apparently occurred in connection with the bells and whistles added to typical documents to make them look prettier.
    Maybe I'll just stick to .doc.

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Horse manure. If they've got Windows, then there is some other reason.

If you want to send a document that virtually anyone can read, send it in RTF format. Anyone who has Windows has WordPad, which is capable of reading RTF format.

Do be aware, however, that you ARE better off not using tables, and instead use tabbed lists (which otherwise suck, I know), and don't use such things as Format-Columns. It simply cannot be done.

txt is text
    RTF is rich text format, which means it'll maintain bolding, tabbing, etc...
    IMHO: Don't use Word as your email editor.
    IMHO: Don't use HTML format in emails if you insist that EVERYONE be able to read your email as you intended.
    IMHO: If you want to send an email newsletter, keep it in text.
    IMHO: If you want to send a document, first find out what the recipient has to open it.
    IMHO: If you're sending out your resume and you need to paste text into some web's textbox, then create a copy of your resume in a text-only format; don't bother trying to use Word's version.

Hope this helps!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118081

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice