1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Type II Pc card slot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dannyboyfx, Jun 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dannyboyfx

dannyboyfx Thread Starter

I am buying a notebook, and was wondering what the Type II PC card slot refered to. I have found a few sites on google, they say that it is memory, but some of the brands also advertise they have DIMM slots, so i got confused on that. they also say it is plug and play, so that must mean that it is external, right. so is it like USB and firewire, or is it like a new floppy drive? I know a little about computers, so i really just want to know what i can put in this slot and how that helps me in the future.

2. Ratticus

Ratticus

Pcmcia?

3. dannyboyfx

umm... yeah that is included with the name sometimes. What can i put in there. the cards look like floppies with a PCI connector. and i cant figure out what any of them do. i see some that say hardrive, but they are too small to be a harddrive, are they flash memory. some others have 10/100, that is a netorking card, however i see no antenna to signify wireless capability or an ethernet port.

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

A pcmcia Type II slot will accept a variety of devices . . some that come to mind are:

Modem
    Network Adapter card ( 10/100 )
    Wireless Network acaptor card
    Flash memory
    USB connectors

it is the equivilent of a pci slot in a desktop

Hope this helps . . wrs

5. dannyboyfx

yay. that is definitly helpful. i was thinking that. thank you so much. a versatile PCI slot.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/238673

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice