1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Type of Case?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spinalis, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spinalis

spinalis Thread Starter

I have decided to build my own pc and was going through some old, retired machines in search of salvageable parts. Not much is useable but I thought I might use one of the old cases. Naturally I need an ATX style case but how do you tell the difference between an ATX case and an AT case?

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

3. zeddy

zeddy

You need to think about what kind of system you are putting together, a good case and quality PSU are two items I would'nt recommend skimping on.

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

Definitions might be helpful too.
    AT

Short for advanced technology, the AT is an IBM PC model introduced in 1984. It includes an Intel 80286 microprocessor, a 1.2MB floppy drive, and an 84-key AT keyboard.
    Today, the term is used more generally to refer to any PC with an 80286 processor.

ATX

The modern-day shape and layout of PC motherboards. It improves on the previous standard, the Baby AT form factor, by rotating the orientation of the board 90 degrees. This allows for a more efficient design, with disk drive cable connectors nearer to the drive bays and the CPU closer to the power supply and cooling fan.

5. spinalis

spinalis Thread Starter

Thanks a lot...what a great site..
    RD

6. griffinspc

griffinspc

You're welcome. Keep coming back and enjoy.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222341

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice