1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Type of RAM I have?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by larryh10000, Nov 10, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. larryh10000

larryh10000 Thread Starter

I didn't offer the specs for my question as it's not on the PC that I am currently using to post this but I don't think the specs on that machine will be necessary for this question.

I have this 7 year old HP laptop and I also have the manual for it and am trying to figure out whether my RAM is SDRAM, DDR 2, DDR3 and I sure it's not DDR 4 as the laptop is too old for that.

The manual only says I have 2 slots and 6 gigs of ram currently installed but it doesn't tell me the SDRAM, or DDR-type. Other than opening the PC and pulling out a stick and reading it, is there an easier way to tell?

Thanks!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Visit the website of just about any RAM module manufacturer and they will usually have a RAM module selector page that allows you to enter the brand and exact model number of a laptop and it will tell you which of their products will work in it. The product description should have the RAM type.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you don't know the model number(P/N) or product number(P/N) or serial number(S/N) of your HP laptop, it's unknown to us how much and what type RAM it supports.

However, if it's a 7 years old model, I'm guessing it supports the use of DDR3 and/or DDR3L RAM modules.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Here we go.....asking a question about hardware on a system with no system specs and then expecting anyone to know what hardware it has is baffling.

That aside, Laptops use SoDim RAM which is a form factor... The manual will tell you exactly what RAM type it will use and can be upgraded with. There's also some downloadable software that can tell the what exact RAM is installed.

SarahSims likes this.
  5. larryh10000

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD A8-4500M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 21 Model 16 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 5602 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7640G, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 569 GB (512 GB Free); D: 25 GB (3 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 184B
    Antivirus: Norton Security, Enabled and Updated

My apologies everyone, I gave you nothing to work with - Iv'e been here long enough to know better :notworthy: It won't happen again (y)

This laptop is an HP Pavilion G7-2233cl Notebook PC - Product Number: C3Q78UA.
    The manual says it currently has: 6 GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM).

The manual also says this: To use a dual-channel configuration with a second memory module, be sure that both memory modules are identical. Description Spare part number 4 GB (DDR3-1600 MHz, PC3-12800) 641369-001 2 GB (DDR3-1600 MHz, PC3-12800) - I think this is the part number --->652972-001

Looks like I could get the right ones from Crucial - they have the following:
    8GBKit (2x4 GB) DDR3L - 1600 SODIMM
    Price for the 8GBKit is: $45.99.

I'm thinking I could get a 250GB SSD for $35.00 (don't need much storage as I save everything to the cloud and also to my 256GB USB 3.0 flashhdrive) and Upgrade the RAM for $45.99 all for less than $100 bucks.

Your thoughts as to if this is a worth while upgrades for this machine?

Again - So sorry - will do better, I promise (y)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  6. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

For a laptop those are the only 2 end user upgrades for hardware that can be done. That will make all the difference in the world for a laptop so go for it. My only suggestion on your RAM upgrade.....check the manual for the fastest speed (mhz) and go with that.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    HP Pavilion g7-2233cl Notebook PC (C3Q78UA) (support site)

It comes with 6 GB(4 GB + 2 GB) of DDR3-1600 RAM, but it supports 8 GB.
    You do have the option of replacing its 2 GB module with a 4 GB module and running it with 8 GB(4 GB + 4 GB).

It comes with an AMD A8-4500M 1.90 GHz quad core processor.
    It comes with an AMD Radeon HD 7640G graphics device.
    cpu.JPG gpu.JPG

Considering the low "horsepower" of the processor, maxing out the RAM and switching to a SSD probably won't do much to improve speed and snappiness.

I would get rid of Norton Security and stick with Windows 10's built-in antivirus app.
    Besides reducing the risk of having issues, it may improve speed and snappiness without going through the cost of hardware upgrades.

----------------------------------------------------------------

8. larryh10000

Thanks so much - this pretty-much tells me everything I need to know about this laptop - and also thanks for your thoughts about doing the hardware upgrades.
    As usual great job Mr. Flavallee

9. larryh10000

Thanks for your help - the fastest ram speed I can get for this laptop is 1600 MHz and I'll just need to order (1) 4 GB stick to match the (1) 4 GB that is in there now and just remove the 2 GB ram stick giving me a total of 8 GB which is the max for this machine - I'll be able to save a few bucks this way.
    Thanks again!

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235497

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice