1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Type on Underline in Word

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Liz, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Liz

Liz Thread Starter

Good morning, I have a question concerning a form that I would like to type. The form has underline where the information is to be typed in, but when I type on the line, the line moves. Is there a way to type on the line without it moving? Thank you... Liz

2. cristobal03

cristobal03

Hi there. The simple answer is that the form was designed to be filled in (or populated) by hand. The underline you see is actually a series of underscore characters (Shift + hyphen, just next to the zero at the top of a standard US keyboard).

Forms in Word are usually created using tables. Who designed the form?

chris.

3. Liz

Liz Thread Starter

I don't know who designed it.

4. cristobal03

cristobal03

Well, if redesigning the form is not an option, you can sort of cheat your way to a similar effect. It's very risky if the font you're using is not fixed-width (like System, Courier, Courier New, etc.), so I don't know if I can recommend it. Basically, for each datum, you'd enable overwrite by pressing the Insert key, then format the entered text with an underline. Be sure to disable overwrite unless you're keying in data for a field.

But there's a high likelihood that the form's layout will be compromised.

chris.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Highlight the typed text and underline it.

6. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Another solution is to insert form fields from the forms toolbar and apply the underline format to the entire field. The fields width will expand automatically as additional text is added.

Rollin

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/473426