1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

types of ram ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ianthepig, Jan 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ianthepig

Ianthepig Thread Starter

Hi I am thinking of upgrading my p/c's ram, I have a Time computer 500mhz, 64mb sdram, with 13gb h/d.
    I have been on the net searching for the best deals, and crucial.com seems to be the best. They advise me that I can put a max 256mb in, on that basis I am going to put 128mb in to start with ( my pocket cant stretch 256mb just yet lol ). My questions are what is the diff between ...... pc100 and pc133 ? as there is only a few pounds in it I want the best of the two. Also ( silly question here ) can I leave the 64mb stick in or do I gota take it out before I can put the new stick in ? Thanks in advance :D

2. brianF

brianF

pc100 is standard for use with 100 mhz front side bus systems. Pc133 is faster, for use with machines that run 133 mhz front side bus. Most of the time they can be used together, the 133 will default to the slower speed, go with what crucial recommends.

Also you should be able to add it in another slot and leave your current stick in

3. stanggt2

stanggt2

if you go to www.pricewatch.com you might be able to get 2 128mb for about the same price as you was looking at

4. Ianthepig

Ianthepig Thread Starter

Hi Brianf, thanks for your reply. Although I didnt understand the bus bit ? I think I will go for the 133 then if its supported it will be quicker, if not then all is not lost :D

5. Ianthepig

Ianthepig Thread Starter

Hi stanggt2, thanks for your reply.
    I did a double take when I went to the link you put in your reply $17 for 128mb converted to £ is really cheap ?? Even allowing a modest exchange rate ( $1.4 to the £ ) it is amazingly cheap, about half the price over the pond here, crucial quote £25 for a 128mb stick. Is this price watch parts any good ? Dont get me wrong its just that they seem to good to be true ?

6. chevy4x4trucks

chevy4x4trucks

Pricewatch actually just shows you what places sell the item the cheapest. I've used them several times to find stuff. I haven't had any problems w/ them.

7. deuce

deuce

Well, the price pricewatch shows is only each vender's price. That doesn't include shipping... and usually the one listed the cheapest will be slightly off and/or hard to find on their site. Generally, what the have on pricewatch is the price they sell it for, and sometimes have to pay like 10 or $15 or more shipping just on ram... and I'm pretty sure crucial has free ground shipping. As a note... pricewatch doesn't control what prices are displayed. The site that sells that product controls the advertised price... pricewatch has nothing to do with it. However... if you do go with pricewatch, some sites have special deals with pricewatch and give you a better deal if you mention pricewatch when you buy it... therefore the advertised price will be cheaper than the price on the site and so you have to mention pricewatch to them when you buy it to get the discount.

8. Ianthepig

Ianthepig Thread Starter

Thanks for the info on price watch Deuce and Chevy, I think I will go with crucial, by the time I have paid postage and paid the exchange rate fee on my visa it would prolly be the same or more expensive :D Thanks once again for your views.

9. Ianthepig

Ianthepig Thread Starter

Hi all, just to let you know that I got a 128mb stick of pc133 from crucial at a cost of £ 30 .00 and have fitted it no trouble at all. I must admit that I am impressed by the speed of crucial, I orderd the stick wed night bout 10pm and it came in the post fri morning !
    Many thanks for all your help,
    Ian. :D

10. stanggt2

stanggt2

glad to hear everything works good

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice