1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Typical Lifespan of Hardware?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 8dalejr.fan, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan Thread Starter

Interesting hypothetical question for you.

What is the typical lifespan of the different pieces of hardware inside a computer, provided that the computer is used daily for work and gaming on average of about 6 or 7 hours per day?

I'm on my final year of warranty and it is a good thing that I still have a warranty too because I just had a video card and CD-RW drive die on me in the last two months after having them for about two years.

I'm getting sick and tired of having to keep getting different parts and pieces replaced. Are these two things fluke or are things meant to only last about two or so years?

I'm wondering if I should start saving up if something else decides to go again after the warranty expires.

Opinions? How long has your hardware lasted? What have you guys had to replace and how long was their lifespan?

2. AdrianClarke

AdrianClarke

I think 2 years is kinda short.

Overclocking reduces lifespan so if you overclocked anything, its recudes lifespan.

Also if its heat is high it also reduces lifespan.

I've had my video for about a year now and a few problems but corrected. Shows no symptoms of dying on me.

3. 8dalejr.fan

I think 2 years is kinda short too, that's why I'm asking. :)

Nothing in here has ever been overclocked. Never.

I have a monstrous case- the Dell XPS gaming system's case is HUGE! So big it doesn't even fit in a standard computer unit. I've been cleaning out the case and I have 6 case fans. I don't think heating was an issue either.

I just can't really explain why my video card and CD-RW drive died other than repeated use.

4. AdrianClarke

AdrianClarke

5. Sellars

Sellars

Tips

1. Ensure you have a good PSU, think 500w Tagan, etc, a stable power source will help. The new tagan PSU i originally bought was about 2 times heavier than the one with the case. Annoying, but true, psus with cases are not always the best for stability :)

2. Fit a surge protector. Only times my computer has gone down is power spike/drop in the last 3 years. The power spike blew my mobo, and yes, i have a surge protector now :p Lesson learned, somewhat expensively.

3. as for CD drive, cheap as chips, can get faulty. Recommend a sony or LG if you ever replace it again

6. DCM1519

DCM1519

My computer was built in 2000 and all I have replaced is a CD drive. Cost about $25.

The computer was built locally because one with all the features I wanted would have been very expensive from a manufacturer and there probably would have been some proprietary parts. Will have another built soon.

7. 8dalejr.fan

PSU is good and reliable (so far at least lol) 460+ W or so. However it did come with the case and it is at the very bottom of it in a long skinny shape- about half the size of all other PSU's I've seen. I guess if Dell used a full-sized PSU in the XPS, the case would have to be even bigger than it already is.

I've had a surge protector on this thing since I got it too.

It was an expensive computer from Dell so that's why I'm asking.

I'm not really surprised that the parts that failed were the 9800XT video card (use it a ton with demanding games) and I know how cheap the CD-RW drives are. Both being used constantly too.

I still haven't been able to get the CD-RW drive replaced yet, so I'm without being able to play games or anything write now until I get that replaced.

Thanks for that interesting read, AdrianClarke.

Oh and Welcome to TSG, Sellars! :)

8. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

If the computer was built from quality components (most notably the power supply and the hard drives), then so long as it doesn't experience any untoward events (lightning strikes on the power lines, for instance), and so long as you keep the air intakes/exhausts clean, then there is no reason why it shouldn't last pretty much forever.

Commonly, except for high-power components (which do have a lifespan) an electronic device will either fail very quickly (first couple of hours) or not at all.

There are a number of caveats to that of course, but generally that is what you can expect.

I have several computers that have been on 24/7/365 since 1997 and the only things I have had to change are fans and a couple of modems that got fried in storms (lightning arrestors notwithstanding).

9. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Oh. Forgot.

I have had 2 CDROMS and one CD/RW fail in those boxes since 1997 too.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It depends, dell does not generally use top of the line parts especially in the area of power supplies. Unless you are using your optical drives quite a bit, I would think that two years is a little short on time. I am still using an old 32X LiteOn burner that works great.

The mb, video card, cpu should last longer than you want to keep them. Hard drives on the other hand seem to fail faster now than they did even just a few years ago.

11. 8dalejr.fan

I have two optical drives: a CD-RW and a DVD-ROM drive.

I've used the DVD-ROM drive five or ten times at the most in the last two years and of course it is still working great.

On the other hand, the CD-RW drive is used on a daily basis for hours multiple times per day. I use that one for playing CD games and of course burning data (sometimes music too) onto them.

I have a question. Can CD-ROM games be played in a DVD-ROM drive without reinstalling or anything? I've never tried. I've always played all my games from the CD-RW drive. Now the drive has failed on me and I have to wait on my gaming until the drive is fixed. :rolleyes:

You mentioned hard drives, crjdriver. How long to those typically last? I still have computers from 1997 and 2001 and the hard drives on them haven't failed. Is this another thing to be thinking about?

If so, I better break out those CD-R's to back up my data just to be safe. Wait... I can't do that yet. I have to get my CD-RW drive replaced first! lol ;)

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Hard drives from a few years ago were higher quality units. Today they are pretty cheap. Of course if you buy scsi type drives, those are still high quality.

The warranty on hd has been cut to one year for most drives. High end seagate and WD have some long warranty periods, however for the most part the warranty is now 1 year on hd. That should tell you about the quality.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW I always tell people "Data you do not back up is data you do not care about"

14. 8dalejr.fan

Hmm... interesting about the hard drive warranty deal. But I have a three year warranty with Dell for all hardware in the computer. Good.

How about the DVD-ROM question?

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

See my tagline. :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/441812

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice