1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

typing b sounds computer speaker

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Laraby, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Laraby

Laraby Thread Starter

Hello Gang,

:mad: I could really use a hand!

1st system:

MB- K7 Triton
    CPU- Athlon 1.3Ghz
    Ram- 608 Mb
    OS- Win XP Home (service pak 2 recently installed)
    AV- Mcafee

After recently installing service pak 2, my keyboard has gone berserk. When I type B, the system speaker sounds, and i can not make it stop doing this. When I first had the problem, if i typed t then outlook would open up, and f opened the search window. I looked up registry settings and changed a couple keys, and this stopped the f and t functions, but not the b function.

Now however there seems to be other problems with my keyboard functionality. Sometimes while typing online, in an editor, on forumns (such as this one), I am kidnapped from whatever i am tryin to do, and and sent other places. Sometimes its my hompeage, in this forumn it deleted about half this message and i had to start over.:(

I have also cleaned my keyboard to make sure that the ctrl and alt buttons were not sticking, to no avail.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Laraby

Laraby Thread Starter

Part of the problem may be with two competing firewalls. Which firewall should i keep active, Mcaffee or SP2. And should I download and run hijakthis?

3. Augie65

Augie65

Not sure that is the problem, but you definitely don't want to run two firewalls at the same time. You probably will use the McAfee because you are using their anti-virus.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Usually with SP2 the firewall is supposed to be automatically turned off when another firewall is installed. If not turn off the SP2 firewall so you only have one firewall. Same thing or rule as with anti-virus programs only one.

5. Laraby

Laraby Thread Starter

ok well i turned sp2 firewall off, but the problem remains the same.:) Thanks to Augie and Oz for the suggestion. Anyone else out there that can help me to figure this problem out??

6. Augie65

Augie65

Go to the device manager and check the device status for the keyboad.

7. Laraby

Laraby Thread Starter

device mge says that my keyboard is working properly. I think this is a hotkey issue, and i not sure how to turn off hotkeys for this computer, since i have never used them in the past.

8. Laraby

Laraby Thread Starter

also if i push either button between 3 and 6 on the keyboard either im taken to the top of the current page (while on internet) or taken to home page.

9. Laraby

Laraby Thread Starter

:mad: Doesn't anyone have any ideas on this problem?

10. jparr111

jparr111

Have you tried unplugging the keyboard...restarting... and plugging in again? Let the "Found new hardware" Wizard do it's thing.?

11. Laraby

Laraby Thread Starter

jparr thats the best idea i have heard all day. y didnt i think of it? Tryin it right now

12. Laraby

Laraby Thread Starter

as good as it sounded it didn't work. i can press 4 and 5 on the num pad, but if i do on the keyboard, 4 refreshes the page, and 5 loads the home page in a seperate window. This is driving me insane.:eek:

any more ideas??

13. Laraby

Laraby Thread Starter

as good as it sounded it didn't work. i can press 4 and 5 on the num pad, but if i do on the keyboard, 4 refreshes the page, and 5 loads the home page in a seperate window. This is driving me insane.:eek:

I have already tried to system restore disk but that didnt help either. This seems to be a software issue, but i cant figure out what is the cause. maybe Ill start removing software until the problem stops, unless someone out there has any ideas??

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

14. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Given the low cost of keyboards, I would recommend trying another.

It sounds like the keyboard electronics to me?

15. Laraby

Laraby Thread Starter

thanks kiwi, a good suggestion. I guess im goin to try it since ive exhasted all other avenues so far (except the software removal since i dont want to spend 2 more days uninstalling and reinstalling). who knows, maybe the kids spilled a coke or a beer into it. :cool:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490816

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice