1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

U S Robotics 33600 modem power adaptor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rfcjr, Nov 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rfcjr

rfcjr Thread Starter

Hello:

Can anyone tell me what the voltage and current requirements are for a US Robotics 33600 sporster external modem? And, is the center pin positive? I misplaced the power adaptor and all instructions and specifications avoid this information completely. Thank you.

rfcjr

2. shadowcat

shadowcat

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Sometimes this is marked (in relief, or drawn) on the unit right next where the power plugs in. It is sometimes not easy to see, though.

4. rfcjr

rfcjr Thread Starter

Hello:

There is no print or impression as to the voltage or polarity of the plug. I have reviewed many of US Robotics manuals and FAQs and everywhere they just refer to the power adaptor and say not to use any other since the voltages etc. may differ. Nowhere can I find where they mention what the power requirements for the modem are. Their support wants to charge for a simple question. Very frustrating. Thank you.

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

They probably don't mention that for two reasons. One is that the unskilled will use the wrong voltage, wrong amperage rating or wrong polarity and they'll have unnecessary tech support calls or unnecessarily burned out modems. The other is that there is the added benefit that they can sell you the power supply for near the same cost of the entire setup.

I accidentally plugged a modem power supply into a network hub a couple of months ago. I don't know what those units do with all that smoke; but, if you let it out, they just won't work any more.

Sorry, I can't help any further.

Good Luck.

6. rfcjr

rfcjr Thread Starter

Hello:

Thank you for the help. I finally got through to a person at usr and got the info. I didn't have to pay; but, found out that it requires 20 volts AC at 500 mils. Kind'a hard power supply to come up with. Thanks again.

rfcjr

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/179141

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice