1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

U3 Flash Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DoubleHelix, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned Thread Starter

What is the difference between using a regular flash drive with stand-alone apps and using a U3-compatible flash drive with U3 apps?

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

Here's a page to browse for released apps; http://u3.com/smart/default.aspx

I use portable apps on my U2 and am very content. I think the biggest difference is that a U3 drive is basically a self contained computer. I know with portable apps if you create a document with OpenOffice or AbiWord, my choice, you don't leave the actual document on the PC but you do leave a history of it in the recent file and temp files of it's creation. Apparently with U3 that's not the case. Also I understand that as a platform in and of itself programmers can write software to work exclusively on U3 drives.

Having said that I run AbiWord, FoxIt Reader, Thunderbird, Opera, FireFox and Sunbird on my old 256MB U2 flash all portable apps from http://portableapps.com/apps

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have a 1gig U3 drive that I pack around on trips. If I have to run something or get mail on someone's machine, I stick it in and keep all my data with me.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned Thread Starter

So you can use U3 apps on a non-U3 app flash drive?

5. JohnWill

I have a U3 drive, I don't think you can run applications designed for a U3 drive on a non-U3 drive. There are plenty of "portable" applications that don't depend on the U3 loader.

6. mattice06082

mattice06082

I don't see the advantage of paying extra for a U3 enabled drive. I have a flash drive with PStart installed and it provides an easy way of accessing all of my portable applications. I found The Portable Freeware Connection and PortableApps griffinspc linked to as great resources for finding lots of portable apps for free.

7. griffinspc

griffinspc

That's my understanding too. If an app is specifically written for U3 it will not function on U2.

8. griffinspc

griffinspc

Yes, Pstart is great and I have my Thunderbird mail client set up to download my email from my home account but told it to keep the mail on the server so when I get home I can download it again to my main machine.

9. JohnWill

What's U2?

10. griffinspc

griffinspc

Short for the old fashion USB 2.0 flash drive or a band from Ireland. :D

11. JohnWill

OK, that's probably a confusion factor. A U3 drive is still a USB 2.0 hardware interface, it just has additional capability to appear as two drives and launch it's U3 startup package.

12. griffinspc

griffinspc

True, I probably assumed too much that all would know that but it was easiest for this discussion or at least the way he posed the question. I still like the band though.

13. mattice06082

mattice06082

I liked the band before they became too commercialized, but I knew what you meant by U2.

14. griffinspc

griffinspc

Joshua Tree rules !

15. techy689

techy689

I have a U3 drive, and when I first got it I installed the free McAfee VirusScan for U3 flash drives... i got it off of the U3 site... however, it's not there anymore.. if anyone knows where you can get a virus scanner for ure u3 enabled flash drive, let me know.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536026

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice