1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ubantu Setup & Installation

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by rdonovan1, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rdonovan1

rdonovan1 Thread Starter

I was just wondering as to how I can setup Ubantu on a P3 computer with 512 MB Ram, a floppy drive and a cd drive. The cd drive doesn't boot automatically on this system so I am going to have to use a floppy disk to get access to the cd drive so that I can run the installation of ubantu on that machine.

I used that procedure when I installed Windows 2000 on the machine and that worked with that. I've decided that what I'm going to do is wipe that drive and install Ubantu on that machine so that I can use a new printer that I am going to buy.

I have to use Ubantu or some other form of Linux on that machine with the new printer because HP doesn't make a driver for Windows 2000. I'll need to test and use the printer after I get it, but because I have to exchange my 64 bit AMD motherboard I'm going to be limited for close to 2 weeks as I have to wait for Tiger Direct and UPS to ship the old board back to them and then for them to ship me the replacement board.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

3. rdonovan1

rdonovan1 Thread Starter

I was just reading something in another thread about Ubantu and it's making me wonder if I would even need to do the floppy disk thing.

Could I install Ubantu through Windows 2000 on that same machine or do I need to completely wipe the drive of Windows 2000 and do a clean install as if I were installing Windows 2000, but only with Ubantu?

I'm a little confused as to what the best way is to get Ubantu installed on that machine so that I can use it on that machine just like I would with Windows.

I've never used any version of Linux before so this is all new to me at the moment.

4. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    I think you might be thinking of Wubi (Windows Ubuntu Installer) that installs Ubuntu within Windows and does not require you to partition your hard drive. It's a good intro to Ubuntu and is easy to uninstall from within Windows through add/remove programmes.
    The downside is that if you like Ubuntu & you have it as a Wubi install it's quite tricky to migrate all the personalisations you've made to either a 'full' install or a dual boot with Windows. You often have to start from a clean install - but that's not a great problem.

Info about Wubi: http://wubi.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps?

Richard

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Why not? What is the boot order? Older systems seemed to always come with the optical drive being after the floppy and hard drive. Have you changed to put it before the hard drive?

6. rdonovan1

rdonovan1 Thread Starter

I tried to install it on a Western Digital 500 GB external hard drive and it acted like it installed, but when I tried to boot the system with that drive it wouldn't load the operating system.

I'm not sure as to why either at the moment. Anyone got any ideas as to why this might have happened.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe because the machine does not support boot from USB.

8. rdonovan1

rdonovan1 Thread Starter

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You have not yet answered my question about the boot order. If and when you do we can look to see if USB is anywhere in the list.

10. prunejuice

prunejuice

These are two different systems we are talking about. Which one won't boot from CD ROM?

11. Garthhh

Garthhh

check/change the boot order in bios,
    you won't be able to boot from usb on a pentium III most likely &
    will have to install on the main hdd
    I done a few of these kinds of installs, & ended up with decent surfing/email kind of boxes, video can be a little problematic
    HP printers have been plug n play in my experience, I have a 4480 myself

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice