1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uberstudent and Yukon Pixie error

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Sezmo, Dec 28, 2012.

?

Do you enjoy UberStudent?

1. What is Uberstudent?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes recommend highely

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, would not recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Stuck on Windows, cause Windows is stuck on me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sezmo

Sezmo Thread Starter

My question, I have a vaio vgn fz460e, has four gigs ram ddr, 160ghdd, and all the standard bells and whistles of x86 architecture that originally used Vista. Slightly aged machine obviously. I recently discovered Linux, and even though I hated Vista, and although Windows 7 was strictly okay, Linux blows my brains out and leaves a mess all over my desk:eek:. Naturally, I am trying every distro under the sun, and have successfully installed mints 13 and 14, linux gamers live.net, and Open Suse:D. Now, I want to try Uber Student, since it promises a happy balance between gaming and office:rolleyes:. Here is what happens when I try to install any sort of debian/ubuntu type distro, such as Ultimate Edition, arch linux or ubuntu, or uberstudent and several others. I write the iso to my Cenda 18g flashdrive, then take it out when prompted. Restart/shutdown, reinsert cenda, and instead of normal operation get this stupid pre boot environment that cannot find a media cable:mad:. Specifically it is the yukon pre boot execution environment. What should I do to get Uberstudent up and running on this machine? My bios options are limited, and all set correctly(y), there is literally no visible explanation for this and may brains are cudgeled to the point of shutdown:confused:. Thanks in advance for any advice.:) Also, since mint seems to be the only os that works for me just now, I used its built in image writer to write the iso to usb, all standard, fairly easy stuff. Maybe should have my windows friends write the distro using unetbootin or other windows program?:p

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    Just a couple of basic questions .....
    Have you verified the md5 sum? Have you downloaded the right architecture - not 64bit when you need 32 bit?

It's a huge download near 4gb so I'm a bit reluctant to give it a try!

Richard

3. Sezmo

Sezmo Thread Starter

Yes, I have a sixty four bit architecure. Downloaded the sixty four bit version, there is only a sixty four bit version just now. About to try twerking my Bios settings, I am sure they are right, though I am going to try disabling the network boot. I've seen some answers and tried a few, my Bios is as up to date as the machine allows. Personally, I think that it comes back to my architecture, this machine was designed for Vista, and does not seem to like Ubuntu based distros. It runs Mint and OpenSuse, and live linux gamers.net okay. I also noticed that the XP architecture seems exactly opposite.

4. Sezmo

Sezmo Thread Starter

No, I did not verify the md5 checksum, understanding that it is not essential, I downloaded straight from the source, and can tell it worked because the mounted Flashdrive is now labelled as Uberstudent. Also, that requires more technical skill than I have just now, or, the process does not seem as simple to me as to others.

5. DVOM

DVOM

Firstly, LinuxMint is a Ubuntu derivitive.
    Secondly, when I try to boot a Ubuntu USB, I usually have to type "live' at the prompt.

You might also try "live-usb-install.deb" which you can get here:

http://live.learnfree.eu/download

6. Sezmo

Sezmo Thread Starter

Thanks, checking out the link, but not sure what your telling me here, how does this pertain to Uberstudent?

7. Sezmo

Sezmo Thread Starter

Just tried to check for a prompt, there is none, just goes straight to the pxie

8. DVOM

DVOM

The "live-usb-install" is another program that you can install in Mint to put your ISO onto a USB. Also, UNetbootin is available for linux so you can install that in Mint.

9. DVOM

DVOM

If ya google a little bit you'll find that your machine is trying to boot from network, You need to get into your BIOS and set your boot sequence to CD, USB then hard drive, Shut off the LAN or PXE boot thingy.

When your machine first starts to boot it gives you a "press F2 or F12 (or whatever) to enter setup", it goes by fast so you may have to start it a couple of times to read it. Then, while tapping the appropriate key, start the machine and it'll open the BIOS. Once in there, have a look around, don't be in a hurry. You've got to navigate with the "tab" key and the up/down, left./right arrows.

You can exit BIOS with or without saving your changes, so once you're confident you've done it right, save the changes and exit.

10. Sezmo

Sezmo Thread Starter

My network is set to boot dead last, and I have tried linux live, Uberstudent is not supported, and anyway, now I am getting the error 0, input output error. The pxe error is now irrelevant, if I could just figure how to fix this error 0 that comes up.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice