1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ubuntu 19.04 Stuck on login screen!

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Timbaktu, Oct 3, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Timbaktu

Timbaktu Thread Starter

Hi guys, hope you all are having a blessed day. I’m new to linux system. I have recently installed a USB Boot Ubuntu 19.04 on my MacBook air. It was working fine. And now every time i start the laptop its stuck on the login screen. It asks me to enter my password and when i do the screen freezes. I tried using almost all the keyboard keys available to pull out terminal and nothing. Would appreciate all your answers.

etherdose likes this.
  2. Timbaktu

Timbaktu Thread Starter

This is the screen i get

Attached Files:

3. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    That is unusual, Most people install Linux on PC hardware as MacOS is just a nice as Linux.
    However, me sitting in judgement does not help you with your problem.
    There is a policy on this website to not help break into things, for all anyone knows the laptop is stolen.
    You have two choices here: Since it is a new install, you could re-instrall the linux an go from there.
    If you have data you need to recover, you could boot off of your USB and mount the hard drive to get the data off. I am sorry I can't help you with figuring out why your ubuntu is hanging.

4. Timbaktu

Timbaktu Thread Starter

Hi Sean, Thanks for your reply.

I’m aware of the site rules. I simply switched operating system because my new job is based on a linux system. And no sir this laptop is not stolen and i know better not to break into stuff!

Following your instructions... I downloaded Ubuntu 19.04 into a USB drive and I plugged in the USB to my mac so i can freshly install again. It is not detecting the usb this is the screen i get!!!

Attached Files:

5. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    Well, I am totally unfamiliar with Ubuntu on Macs. If you are willing to wipe out the hard drive and start fresh, that might be the simplest option. Otherwise you may have to do some digging or wait till someone else finds this thread that knows the answer.

6. Timbaktu

Timbaktu Thread Starter

I don’t mind wiping macOS. I like using Linux, was just getting familiar with it till this trouble!

7. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    For clarification, are you Live booting off a USB drive or installing Ubuntu to your hard drive from a USB drive?

I'm only familiar with PCs and Live boot, but the same should apply, deleting/wiping your Mac os install isn't likely to solve your problem if you are booting a Live USB.
    One reason for using a Live boot scenario is to boot into a different environment that's independent of the computer's hard drive.
    More likely it's a problem with your USB drive or an error in making it bootable.

Creating a bootable USB drive for a Mac is much more complicated than for a Windows pc.
    Example:
    https://itsfoss.com/create-bootable-ubuntu-usb-drive-mac-os/

I'm not familiar with Macs,
    but I'd recommend holding off on wiping your Mac os until you know why that USB drive won't boot.

8. Timbaktu

Timbaktu Thread Starter

I used live booting USB drive last week. i was using linux system on it and everything was working fine till the screen froze on the login. and now it wont let me do anything cant even pull terminal. so i downloaded ubuntu 19.04 iso disk image on a USB drive again. i formatted it and when i plugged in on my laptop it wont detect the USB drive and the only thing i see on my screen is the second picture i sent (windows and EFI)

9. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    It isn't clear to me what you are looking at with the Windows & EFI screen.
    Either you have booted off the Ubuntu USB flash drive, and the mac is intercepting the bootup.
    or
    The system isn't actually booting from the USB, and rather it is asking which device you would like to boot from.
    I think the latter might be the case. Did you have a windows system set up on your Mac before you started? does it still work when you select windows on the screen?

10. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Are you using anything like I referred to in the link I posted, to create a Ubuntu bootable USB drive on a Mac?

I say this because simply copying an iso file to a usb drive won't make it a bootable drive.

11. Timbaktu

Timbaktu Thread Starter

Hi Guys.
    Sean..
    When i click on the windows it takes me to a blank dark screen that says GRUB.
    And no I did not set up windows on this laptop. And i think it erased the MacOs system last week when i installed the ubuntu live Boot USB with the help of a friend (Tech friend).

Johny b...

I checked the tutorial you sent me, it only shows me how to create a Bootable ubuntu USB Drive for Mac in OS X. I can’t access the MacOs there can’t follow those instructions.

I used windows computer at school, stuck the USB drive and downloaded Ubuntu 19.04 iso 64amd. (See attached images). I’m i still doing it wrong?

I highly appreciate you guys for this, REALLY. I’m not a technical guy but I’m trying and Again Thanks for all your help.... i cant thank you enough!

Attached Files:

12. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    I don't know if booting from a USB drive that has been created to boot on a windows machine will work on a Mac. If you no longer have the USB drive that your friend made for you, you may have to visit him again to get one made.

13. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    On a Windows system,
    Assuming you are building a bootable usb flash drive with a Live Ubuntu on it, you should be using an app like Rufus or Unetbooten to convert the iso file to an image on the flash drive and make it bootable.

Did you?

In regards to the formatting of the usb drive, I don't know what type is needed on Mac hardware.
    In the Mac example I posted,
    Rufus only offers Fat32 and NTFS.
    Unetbootin seems to use Fat32.

Will either work for creating a bootable image on a Mac? I don't know.
    Is there such an app that will? I don't know that either.

Since you have no operating system on your Mac, it might be easier to just install Ubuntu to your hard drive.

How to install & set up Linux on a Mac
    https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/how-install-linux-on-mac-3637265/

Start at
    How to install Linux on a Mac: Replacing OS X/macOS with Linux

Sorry, while I use Linux every day, it's on a Windows PC and I can't help you with more than I've already posted :)

14. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    From
    https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/57125/how-do-i-boot-from-a-windows-usb-with-a-mac

Boot Camp has to emulate a BIOS system, as Windows requires this to run. Apple uses something called the bless tool in order to instruct EFI (which Macs are based on) to activate this BIOS system.

However, if I recall correctly, emulation of BIOS is not supported on Mac for any device that is not attached via a SATA connection (ie. internal drive, DVD drive). So, I believe that you cannot boot from your USB key.

15. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    On a search using the terms "boot Live linux usb + mac"
    I do see claimed scenarios on how to make a bootable Linux Live USB .
    They do look rather complex, though.

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-macos#0

Here's a Unetbootin for a Mac ( requires having a Mac os of course ):
    https://unetbootin.github.io/

https://www.maketecheasier.com/create-linux-live-usb-in-mac/

Here's one that sets up a usb flash drive to boot both a Mac and a PC
    https://saytosid.github.io/ubuntuUSB/

It does appear doable, Sean.
    Complicated, though.
    More than I'd want to try or even consider.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice