1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ubuntu 8.10, Canon Laser Printer

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by dustyjay, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dustyjay

dustyjay Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jay
    I am attempting to us Ubuntu 8.10 installed with Wubi as a learning experience. So far I am 98% pleased with it. How ever my Canon Image Class MF3110 is a windows only printer. I have search high and low for a driver that would give me Printing capability with this printer under Ubuntu. No luck. I have WINE for Ubuntu installed. I know that the Canon driver installer will run using WINE. Is it possible that I would be able to use the Windows XP or Vista driver for this printer if it is installed using WINE? I know that my onboard Graphics Driver is used even though it says it is a Restricted Driver, it has full functionality in Ubuntu. Might this work out to be the same case with the Printer Driver. Or should I just give it a try and hope it works? Any help or suggestions are appreciated. TIA

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi dustyjay,

Give it a try, and let us know what happened!

-- Tom

3. dustyjay

dustyjay Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jay
    I gave it a try. The installer worked however it didn't appear to give me printer functionality. Either that, or I don't know what I am doing and must do something else to make it work. ANd this is a strong possibility as well, as I dont know what I am doing with Linux yet.

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Is there a main menu pull-down for System>Printing whereby you can create a new printer with a GUI interface? If so, try to follow its steps and let it search for a generic Canon driver, etc.

On Ubuntu, there may be a generic Canon driver that can get the cupsd printer functionality going such that you might not have to use Wine to get things going.

-- Tom

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759337

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice