Ubuntu 9.10 / Mint8 install problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SweetChick

I had a problem with the hard drive on my Panasonic Toughbook 48. Anyway I figured I would buy a new drive and try Linux out, I bought a new 160 GB drive and downloaded and burned the ISO of both Ubuntu 9.10 and Linux Mint 8, and played with the live CD of both and decided to install the Mint version, so it installs fine and on the reboot I get the error... "Failed to boot default entries, Press any key to continue" But pressing keys only gets the same error, or an error of "no such device" , so I try loading the Ubuntu 9.10 and let it overwrite the Mint 8, and it installs fine and on reboot I get the exact same errror!!! Reading the Linux forums seems to tell me this is a known error but trying to figure out the fix in the way they talk gets my head spinning, any help would be grateful.

TerryNet

Terry
Post a link to the fix and MAYBE one of us can translate. :)

TerryNet

Terry
I can see how that would make a new Linux user who is probably not familiar with terminal (command line) usage feel like the instructions are from outer space.

Here is my attempt to shamelessly rewrite the instructions from that link. It still won't make much sense, but I'm hoping you can follow it at least part way and then ask for better instructions at the point of confusion. "Terminal" is like Windows's Command Prompt window; the commands used are Unix/Linux instead of DOS.

What you'll be doing is modifying one file (after changing it from read-only to read-write).

Workaround

- boot system from your Ubuntu 9.10 Live CD
- start terminal (find it in the Applications menu--I forget which sub-menu)
- start nautilus file manager as admin (sudo nautilus) [type the 2 bold words]
- in nautilus select laptop's internal drive (where Ubuntu is installed)
note: I had to first start nautilus as user in order for it to show internal drive
- go to the directory /boot/grub
- right-click grub.cfg and choose properties
- select tab permissions
- change permissions of 'owner: root' from 'read-only' to 'read and write'
- right-click grub.cfg and open with gedit
- find the following entry:

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-14-generic" {
recordfail=1
if [ -n ${have_grubenv} ]; then save_env recordfail; fi
set quiet=1
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,1)
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set ba123456-7890-abcd-efghijklmnop
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=UUID=ba123456-7890-abcd-efghijklmnop ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
}

- simplify entry as follows:

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-15-generic" {
set root=(hd0,1)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-15-generic root=UUID=ba123456-7890-abcd-efghijklmnop ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-15-generic
}

[Note that the above deletes some lines and changes "14" to "15" on some lines]

- save grub.cfg
- change permissions of 'owner: root' from 'read and write' back to 'read-only'
- restart system
- ubuntu should now boot from first internal drive (hd0)

SweetChick

Thanks Terry, I try that next time I get a chance and let you know how it goes.

SweetChick

I can see how that would make a new Linux user who is probably not familiar with terminal (command line) usage feel like the instructions are from outer space.

Here is my attempt to shamelessly rewrite the instructions from that link. It still won't make much sense, but I'm hoping you can follow it at least part way and then ask for better instructions at the point of confusion. "Terminal" is like Windows's Command Prompt window; the commands used are Unix/Linux instead of DOS.

What you'll be doing is modifying one file (after changing it from read-only to read-write).

Workaround

- boot system from your Ubuntu 9.10 Live CD
- start terminal (find it in the Applications menu--I forget which sub-menu)
- start nautilus file manager as admin (sudo nautilus) [type the 2 bold words]
- in nautilus select laptop's internal drive (where Ubuntu is installed)
note: I had to first start nautilus as user in order for it to show internal drive
- go to the directory /boot/grub
- right-click grub.cfg and choose properties
- select tab permissions
- change permissions of 'owner: root' from 'read-only' to 'read and write'
- right-click grub.cfg and open with gedit
- find the following entry:
You lost me here....- go to the directory /boot/grub
How do I get to the directory?
Here is what happened when I typed in sudo nautilus, opened up a root-file browser window

TerryNet

Terry
Assuming you are in the hard drive's file system at that point click on "File System" in the left pane; then double click on "boot" and then "grub."

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online