1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ubuntu computer with Windows XP trouble

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by warr1or2, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. warr1or2

warr1or2 Thread Starter

I recently got this computer from a flea market. There was a Drive Mix Up when I got it. In other words you can choose to load Ubuntu or Windows XP. I chose to Load Ubuntu first and it loads up correctly. I load XP and it says "Couldn't Load "C:\WINDOWS\BOOT.INI" which is on one of the internal hard drives (I think). I tried swapping Drives to see if it'll Load the correct drive as C:\ , but now it's not loading nothing. What's the deal?

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    It sounds like the windows xp part is corrupted somehow. The fact that you got it from a flea market god only knows what was in there.Its not a drive mix up i dont think someone tried to put in a dual operating system in there and it doesnt sound like it was done right.If you want to have just windows xp in there you will have to do a clean reinstall which you should do anyway. Since you are a beginner if you arent familiar with or comfortable with unbuntu you might just be better off starting with windows xp.I hope it came with a copy of windows xp or its going to be hard to find a copy plus when you reinstall you will need the correct xp drivers for that model of computer.

3. warr1or2

warr1or2 Thread Starter

I'm more familiar with a standalone windows XP than what i am with Ubuntu with windows XP. Like I said Ubuntu Kicked up, but when XP was loaded, it gave a black loading screen and got stuck there. But when I tried changing the drives out i hit another snag. I'll upload an image on here on what it does when I try again.

4. warr1or2

warr1or2 Thread Starter

scratch that. Ubuntu Linux works now, and got it to run Windows XP Pro, but a password is needed. Is there any way of recovering or resetting password? also when Ubuntu Linux is loaded, it's too zoomed in. any way of fixing this?

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    As far as passwords we arent allowed to assist with that as we dont know the intent involved.

6. warr1or2

warr1or2 Thread Starter

Where i'm getting at, when logging on to windows xp pro, it needs a username (admin) and password (?????). If help with this is not allowed then that's fine. i'll find other ways. now with the other issue. the display is too zoomed in with Ubuntu Linux. how can i fix this? I looked everywhere for a Control Panel or Display Settings and couldn't find one. (Unless i overlooked or they have different names)

7. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    With unbuntu someone who has used it might be able to offer more assistance.All ive ever used is all of the different windows operating systems from 98 to windows 7.

8. warr1or2

warr1or2 Thread Starter

well thanks for the help that far. like i said i'm better off with windows than linux.
    Anyone else?:p

9. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    You are welcome.

10. warr1or2

warr1or2 Thread Starter

well back to it. when it starts up it says NTLDR is missing, what does this mean?

11. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    It means it cant boot to the operating system.Something is corrupted somewhere to have that happen.I think your best bet is to start all over again fresh with a clean reinstall of xp.I hope you have a copy of windows xp to do so and the drivers for that model of computer.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!