Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubuntu Desktop

Solved 
2K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  texasbullet 
#1 ·
I am new to this OS and want to try Linux but when I found the download page I got a lot of OS to try but got confused with them and just downloaded the Ubuntu Desktop. I just want something simple to use in an old laptop. Does anyone has any knowledge on how this program works and is it difficult to install. Thanks for all your help.
For Your Info I downloaded the Ubuntu Desktop ISO file.

#9 ·
As PeterOz mentioned you don't have to install Ubuntu (or most other versions/distros of Linux) to try it, it can run from a Usb stick and load most drivers during the boot up process.

#12 ·
Today I tried installing Ubuntu on a separate 120 GB SSD by the ISO disc in a Lenovo desktop and I seemed to be unable to install it. First time I did try I think I did it wrong. Inserted disk and got too many options to choose from. I chose Ubuntu (safe graphics), waited for more than 5 minutes and then got a message something about password...., so I then forced restarted my computer and start all over again and this time I chose "Try or Install Ubuntu" in legacy mode which took more than 5 minutes then again the message password password.... and at the end said something about OK. waited a few minutes and a message appeared stating "Failed" to install Ubuntu and waited a few minutes without any advance so I had to stop installing the program due to I am about to go in to work. Am I doing something wrong to make it to work.
BTW, I don't have a spare USB drive to make a bootable USB.

#15 ·
Rather than installing Ubuntu you could select the 'try Ubuntu' option and it should run without installing.

This is a good way to see if Ubuntu can find all the drivers for that particular computer before committing to an actual install.

#18 ·
Well finally decided to try again. Still got an error at end but left it running until finally it got installed (that's what I thought). I just started to fool around with it and noticed after a long time without using it, it just turned off my monitor and computer went to sleep. I turned it back on and seemed to work well. Tried using settings and nothing worked. I removed the DVD and restarted the computer and I got an error message that nothing was on my SSD. I think I will just skip Ubuntu for the mean time until a later date to try it again to see if it installs or not. Not sure what I have done wrong but now its late at night and can't concentrate again. Luckily I still had my W11 SSD available. Thanks for your help and support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.