1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ubuntu erased OS and partition drive

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Kazoku, Oct 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kazoku

Kazoku Thread Starter

I wanted to test drive Ubuntu and install it TOGETHER with my Windows Vista. However, the Ubuntu installing failed and somehow corrupted and can't continue the installation. So right this moment, I'm still on "test drive" mode in Ubuntu that is running on a CD drive. Apparently it erased all my hard drive because I can't boot into Windows (won't load at all) and the F11 recovery partition would not load either. This computer did not come with a recovery disk (I have the HP m8000n) and it's refurbished I just realised that these computers have these stickers that contain the product key.

Since I do have the product key on the side of my comp, would it be possible for me to attain a copy of Windows Vista Home Edition CD from my friend and use my product key? I happen to have an OEM machine... so would that affect it as well?

Someone suggested i get the recovery kit from HP but dont these disks need thesystem recovery drive partition to work? So i guess that isnt an option.

Thanks for the help, i appreciate all the help i recieve!

2. pubtech

pubtech

ouch, hi.

this is not good.

how do you know that ?

may not even be related to the original OS.

have you any files you need on the hard drive ?

3. Kazoku

Kazoku Thread Starter

Im not sure if it did actually erased or corrupted my partitions. Ubuntu is confusing to use a i cant even find the basic properties as per say to vista. Though when i take out the ubuntu cd, windows does not load nor does pressing f11 work.

I really dont mind losing my files. Bunchof' junk anyways lol.

So i guess i can borrow my friends vista cd and use my key and do a fresh start?

4. pubtech

pubtech

get this first.

http://partedmagic.com/

get your friend to burn to disc. easier to use.

take your time using it and see what is on your hard drive etc.

make sure bios is set to boot from cd first.

5. Kazoku

Kazoku Thread Starter

So I'm assuming it is alright to do that in which I use my friend's Windows Vista Home Premium disk and use my key?

Can't seem to go to the "partedmagic" website at all.

6. Billett

Billett

Depends, if your using an OEM version or not as to whether you can use the key. I have the same problem with my old laptop, Ubuntu took off the recovery partition, was stuck and had to buy a new OS.

7. Kazoku

Kazoku Thread Starter

I believe it was a OEM Vista version... ugh.
    So I guess not. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it first before the worse comes to worse... buying a new OS.

Such a pain... now I have to pay a hefty amount as a result of a "free" software. :mad:

8. pubtech

pubtech

9. Kazoku

Kazoku Thread Starter

A new HardDrive you propose? I don't have the level of expertise nor money to do such a thing :(
    Sorry for the bothersome, but what is a grub loader?

10. pubtech

pubtech

it is VERY hard to remove. it must be done though. windows won't even know it's there.

the HD has to be wiped unless you can wipe the first partition you will see in PM.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!