Ubuntu - Factory Reset?

Chivers

HI,

I have a lenovo Ideapad 320, and it is installed with Ubuntu software. I have absolutely no idea about this software really and I am struggling.

Basically, the laptop has got alot of crap on it - games etc which I think is causing problems (I have had experience before of games slowing a laptop and causing issues before). What I would to do is completely clear and reset the laptop. I have tried to uninstall the games but they were obviously downloaded directly from the website, some dont have an uninstall option and or it doesnt even work?!!

I have tried looking up how to clear this stuff and start again but I am getting absolutely no where?! All i managed to find was a reset command for the desktop.

If anyone can please advise me on how to process a full hardrive reset etc? Also does anyone have an idea how I could change the Ubuntu to Microsoft as I have more knowledge of this?

Many thanks.

1. We will need the version no. of Ubuntu

The latest is 20.04 Focal Fossa. You can find this under " Settings "

2. There is no reset in Ubuntu as in Windows 10 by default. So you will have to do a clean install

That is the best " full reset " you can get. While re-installing, choose " Minimal Installation ". It will make sure that you have only what you absolutely need.

3. Ubuntu by default uses Gnome desktop, which is heavy

You can try options like Linux Mint ( latest version is still in beta ) or variants like Kubuntu, Lubuntu etc which are light on resources.

Also does anyone have an idea how I could change the Ubuntu to Microsoft as I have more knowledge of this?
You can do a full wipe of your HDD/SSD and then use a Windows 10 DVD/USB to install Windows 10. It will work like any other Windows.

Chivers

1. We will need the version no. of Ubuntu

The latest is 20.04 Focal Fossa. You can find this under " Settings "

2. There is no reset in Ubuntu as in Windows 10 by default. So you will have to do a clean install

That is the best " full reset " you can get. While re-installing, choose " Minimal Installation ". It will make sure that you have only what you absolutely need.

3. Ubuntu by default uses Gnome desktop, which is heavy

You can try options like Linux Mint ( latest version is still in beta ) or variants like Kubuntu, Lubuntu etc which are light on resources.

You can do a full wipe of your HDD/SSD and then use a Windows 10 DVD/USB to install Windows 10. It will work like any other Windows.
Hi, Many thanks for getting back to me!
So the current software is as follows:
Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS
GNOME: 3.28.2

Are you able to help me carry out a clean install? Also I would certainly be interested in trying the alternatives you have offered IE Linux etc, do you have any further info how to do that?

Apologies I have absolutely no idea, my next plan is throw the thing out of the window :p

crjdriver

I moved this to the linux forum. The forum in which you posted has nothing to do with your problem. You will find more help in this [linux] forum.
It would be a very good idea to post the exact brand, model# and service tag# [if used] of this laptop.

Are you able to help me carry out a clean install? Also I would certainly be interested in trying the alternatives you have offered IE Linux etc, do you have any further info how to do that?

First, you will have to decide which OS you want to use. If this is a new laptop, you can start with a clean wipe ( for both Windows and Linux ) and then make partitions required for the OS. If you try YouTube, there will be plenty of them for each Linux and Windows.

Please note that some laptop brands will already have a recovery partition. ie, from which you can go back to the factory reset state. You can check the partitions' list using Gparted ( careful not to damage anything ) inside Ubuntu. You can either keep this partition or let it go. In some cases, it does not matter.

TerryNet

Terry
You may have a specific reason for wanting to install the original version of Ubuntu, but it is generally advisable to install the latest (or the latest LTS) version.

To remove Linux and install Windows. Download the Windows 10 installation ISO from their website. Home version is free. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO
The next step is to create a bootable USB thumbdrive with the Windows ISO on it.
From Ubuntu:
https://itsfoss.com/bootable-windows-usb-linux/
From Windows:
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/creating-a-windows-10-boot-drive-is-really-simple-heres-how/
These are a few examples of how to create a bootable USB, but there are many other options like Rufus, Unetbootin, and dd.
Turn off your computer, plug in the USB drive, and boot up to install Windows. You may have to hit f12 when you boot up and select the USB drive from the list of bootable devices.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online