1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ubuntu, FireFox, DSL modem

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by LitomoSilver, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LitomoSilver

LitomoSilver Thread Starter

Hmm.

I'm running Ubuntu 6.06 LTS off my CD-rom drive and memory. (Hard drive's with XP Pro on it, and I've disconnected it, as I'd rather not have it overwritten w/ Ubuntu...and the fact that I don't have any ide cables to put both hard drive and CD-rom together on same said cable.)

My problem is: I cannot get into my cursed modem from FireFox. I'm guessing that since I'd resetted my modem back to its default setting, it's not letting FireFox into the modem. (Unfortunately, the same goes for XP Pro...) so, what I'm saying I guess, is that my modem's holding itself hostage.

How do I shoot the terrorist? (Rhetoric...don't mind me.)

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi LitomoSilver,

I also run Ubuntu 6.06 LTS off my CD-Rom drive and memory. Just so you'll know, you don't have to disconnect your XP Pro hard drive, although it will probably come up as mounted by default when you boot Ubuntu. You should be able to Disable the Win XP drive using System -> Administration -> Disks facility. Then it would no longer be accessible after Ubuntu bootup.

Since you run a DSL modem, your setup is different than mine which uses dialup.

My suggestion would be to reboot WinXP Pro, and reset your modem for access with WinXP Pro.

My dialup for Ubuntu works without any Firefox-modem special setup for Firefox [Using wvdial facility] and with WinXP Pro and even RH Fedora Core 3. I (assume) that your DSL should work with Firefox in Ubuntu with the DSL once it is setup properly to work with WinXP Pro, and you probably would not need to do anything with Firefox [Note: I could be wrong on this point], but I think its worth a try from what you have described. My assumption is that all Firefox needs to do is to detect a connection to the Internet, and as I understand, DSL is "always on", i.e. connected to your ISP.

Good luck!

-- Tom

3. rebif

rebif

I'm guessing here but did you have a custom password or changed the address to access your modem before you reset it? After reseting you will have to type the default address and password. What's the address you usualy type into FireFox's or IE's address bar to access your modem? It shouldn't matter which browser you use. To me it sounds like you might be typing the wrong address. This is assuming you have a working internet connection with the Ubuntu live CD or XP which means at least your computer is getting an ip address from the modem. What make and model of modem are you using?

4. LitomoSilver

The modem detects the connection. Ubuntu detects the ethernet connection and says it's active.

Then again...I've been having problems trying to get back into my cursed modem. Once it's back to default settings, there's no password protecting it. No, I have not changed the address, but then again, I wouldn't know as XP cannot access it either, for some reason. Methinks XP's got a broken connection somewhere inside it but I've decided not to fix it, as I'll be doing a reinstall sooner or later...(Probably as soon as I get a USB DVD-RW drive...)

In any case, the modem's from Qwest...a 2700HG modem. I will check into the modem again today and try and get it to listen.

The address...well I'm not too sure but it's http://198. something something.

I haven't been able to find what address it is to get into it...and for some reason, XP Pro which usually has it, doesn't have it anymore.

5. rebif

rebif

OK, try this if you're not sure what address to type. If you're in XP go to Start - Run. Type cmd. Hit enter. In the command prompt window that opens type "ipconfig" (with out the quotes). Hit Enter. You'll see your IP address listed there. Try typing that into your browser. Or it might be the Default gateway. Should be something like 192.168.0.1 or something similar. See if that gets you into your modem. If you are in Ubuntu I think the command is "ifconfig" in the terminal. This is one of the very few times I'm using Windows. :(

I love Ubuntu.

Hope this helps.

6. LitomoSilver

I've used IPCONFIG in the CMD window many times...the oddest thing I've seen is that it's in the wrong range of IPs set by the ISP...even though I'm disconnected from it. And I can never find my cursed booklet which had the addy for the modem. But I'll try the ifconfig command in Ubuntu. I noticed that the LTS version had IPv6 already...sure don't recognize the format...and it was right alongside IPv4...

7. LitomoSilver

Got a new hard drive...installed XP Pro on it...though couldn't get Ubuntu to install at the beginning...I clicked the Install icon while it was running off of CD-RW so that I can install it to my hard drive. The problem is now: How do I get Ubuntu installed on it?! The Install thing takes a long, long, long time to load...makes me wonder what's up...and I decided then to do it later on, and ask you guys' opinion on it and see what's up.

8. Bartender

Bartender

How much RAM you got?

9. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi LitomoSilver,

How many hard drives in your computer? With two drives in your system, you could separate WinXP and Ubuntu onto separate drives and along with the Grub boot loader incorporate dual-booting between the OSes to get you going. Otherwise, you need to partition the one new hard drive to accomodate each OS into its own partition.

If just the new one, how did you partition the hard drive prior to installing WinXP? If you didn't partition it so Ubuntu could have its own partition, you may have to start over again and give Ubuntu a reasonable size partition for itself along with the WinXP partition.

See Saikee's (i.e. Saikee is a TSG member - very competent in Grub) signature for help in the links regarding Grub.

-- Tom

10. LitomoSilver

256 MB.

That'd be one hard drive...I just switch them out, because the primary IDE connector pins are bent...or at least, some of them are...and I'm rather reluctant in trying to fix that lol. But the secondary IDE connector works well enough...when you've figured out which is supposed to be Master and which is supposed to be Slave, that is...for some reason Cable Select doesn't work at all.

No, that's not what I intended...what I intended was to have the second hard drive be Ubuntu's own partition, though I've had a heck of a time trying to get it to install to that...the previous versions of Ubuntu simply installed directly from their Install CDs...and partitioning the hard drive so that both could have its own partition would be a disaster...literally. It's a 6 gig hard drive...yes, I know I should get a bigger one, unfortunately, I don't have the money...which is a PITA. The drive wasn't partitioned before I installed XP...and now it's partitioned with XP. I'm willing to try the installation again but it is annoying for me to watch it run and wait...and wait....and wait.......you get the idea.

11. LitomoSilver

Well, the DSL modem is finally working, at least under XP...(Took a few forced resets to defaults to do it, but I did it.)

Ubuntu...well, I'm not quite that ready to attack that problem...unless someone knows where the older version of Ubuntu is and where I can obtain it and burn it and install it.

12. Gibbs

Gibbs

The Linux equivalent of Windows "ipconfig" is "ifconfig". Just because your ethernet connection is active that doesn't necessarily mean you are.

Are you sure you don't use another protocol like ppp?

The easiest way to check that your online would be to ping a name server (or a few) like google.com.
    Code:
    ping -c 3 google.com

13. LitomoSilver

No internet.

That's true, Gibbs. It does have the protocol of PPOA or something like it.

I just found an older version of Linux...I'm surprised I still have it and the Live CD works...not quite so sure as to the Install CD, but I'll check it out once I get back home.

Far as I know, I'm not using any other protocol other than TCP/IP and UDP.

(Noticed that there's an AEGIS protocol...have no idea what it is, but from what the description says, it's a security protocol of some sort...like https:// formats.

I could ping the link within the modem and see if the modem replies itself...which it does in XP...not so sure about Linux now though.

14. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Litomosilver,

Checkout this link for How to install Broadband ADSL/PPPoE Client (RP-PPPoE) if you don't have it installed already.

-- Tom

15. LitomoSilver

Not sure how I'd get it installed at home, though...ohhhh....it's for Linux, not for the box. Doh!

I'll tinker around with my copy and see how I'll get it to work, though does the ADSL/PPPoE Client come in the CD itself and I can get it from the CD or what?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540627

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice