1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ubuntu in retail?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by fezwoo, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fezwoo

fezwoo Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I appreciate your reply’s here as I’m posing these questions completely blind, but I thought I'd check with you all and start the ball rolling!

I’m an inexperienced Linux user and use it at its most basic level, for internet and email purposes only. I say this because I have a friend who runs his own small retail shop, and he was talking to me very despondently, due to his current shop Windows server environment. He pays massive cash for it in terms of licensing and of course other licensing fees towards yearly anti-virus package costs, to whoever he subscribes (possibly Norton or Trend).

Also, he pays for an IT maintenance company on a monthly basis to supposedly monitor his shops systems and carry out other tech stuff when needed. He has a server running Windows server (I don’t know which version) – and he has four PC terminals for other staff members to carry out their duties on. Those duties are email to potential and existing customers, checking the shop’s suppliers’ websites for ordering stock etc. Printing on two Brother laser printers (Invoices and other things), all running on Windows (again, not sure of the version). In addition, I don’t know what his POS software is and would also like to find out if there is a particular POS software program that runs beautifully on top of Ubuntu?

Are any of you currently involved with Linux used in a retail environment or know anyone who is? I was responding to my friend in conversation regarding my home Ubuntu PC and have basically had no problems at all for my use and purpose over a period of eight years with it. I’m led to believe that Ubuntu can be run for businesses, but I have no knowledge on how that is carried out. In the interests of my friend who is desperate to cut his shop’s IT costs down I suggested he takes a look at Ubuntu, but rather than just say to him ‘hey just take a look at Ubuntu website’ I thought I’d carry out some diligence regarding the possibility of him changing over to Linux in a shop retail environment first.

Guys sorry that it’s a bit vague, but am hoping that even though I don’t know his exact software versions at the moment; I have hopefully presented his pressing needs for cost cutting in the interests of switching to Ubuntu, and running a retail shop minus the headaches of constant additional fee’s even for the maintenance company that updates the virus definitions at a further monthly cost etc. Naturally the fact that Linux comes with a full office suite is another massive plus point for his potential.

Big thanks to you Linux users out there who might be able to help get the ball rolling in this scenario possible near-future project!

I look forward to your knowledge and info and want to thank you in advance for your time and input.

Catch you all soon.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213030

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice