1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ubuntu installation asks for network proxy?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Airidh, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Airidh

Airidh Thread Starter

As I haven't found this problem in the forums, I suppose the answer is obvious to everyone but me :confused:

So I've downloaded ubuntu 10.04.1, got through all the installation screens until the last one. Clicking the Advanced button, up pops a box asking you where to put the boot loader. No problem there, I want it on sdb10.

However, next is a field "Network Proxy". I have no idea what to put in this. I don't know what a network proxy is. I've installed various distros before, and never been asked for this.

The "OK" button is greyed out; the only option is "Cancel", but if I do that I presume it will overwrite the MBR, which I don't want (I already have 2 instances of Window XP, with Partition Magic).

Help, anyone? Thank you.

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Airidh,

Assuming you have installed Ubuntu 10.04.1 into its own partition (a requirement), then you should be ok to Cancel.

Network Proxy refers to System>Preferences>Network Proxy which is a tool by which you can configure how your system connects to the Internet. Read about Configuring Your GNOME Desktop.

Once you are properly installed and your previous OSes are intact (fingers crossed), then you can go back and configure the Firefox browser, etc. for connecting to the Internet. Some installations go a lot easier if you are connected to the Internet while installing in this regard.

If you search for any posts by member saikee in this forum, his signature at the end of his post has some useful links with information on keeping your Windows, etc. intact during such an installation, i.e. not trashing your MBR and successfully integrating your new installation into your booting scheme - Note: Ubuntu 10.04.1 uses Grub2.

-- Tom

3. Airidh

Airidh Thread Starter

Thank you, Tom. There is a lot to think about there, so I'll digest it and get back to you. I'll look up saikee too - he(?) has helped me in the past; I noticed the signature, and meant to follow it up, but of course other things intervened ....

Edna

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/949194