1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ubuntu on Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by iowatt, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iowatt

iowatt Thread Starter

I am trying to install Ubuntu 12.10 on an HP I just bought with Windows 8 pre-installed. Needless to say, I'm not a fan of the new Windows...that being said, this is my first ever attempt at trying a different OS, and am running into problems.

I would appreciate any help I can get in lay-mans terms, please!! ;)

The error I keep getting is that Ubuntu is missing the wubildr.mbr file, and cannot boot. But when I look at my control panel, it is in the Ubuntu folder. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it a couple of times, to no avail.

All I know for sure, is that if I cannot get rid of Windows 8, this new laptop is useless to me...I cannot stand this OS....worst Microsoft product I've ever used! (sorry if any of you are fans!) :eek:

Any help would be much appreciated! :D

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi and welcome,

Just to clarify - do you want to wipe Windows entirely and just have Ubuntu? Or, Ubuntu within Windows using Wubi? Or a traditional dual boot (partitioned drive)?
    All are quite simple but require different guidance.

Before starting - make a backup of all your important docs, pics etc to an external drive - just in case!

Richard

3. iowatt

iowatt Thread Starter

I wouldn't mind getting rid of windows 8 entirely, as long as Ubuntu is stable, which it sounds like it is. It's a brand new computer, so nothing personal on it yet. Thanks so much! ;)

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have you run Ubuntu as a Live CD ("trial" or "try" instead of "install" when you first boot the disk)? You may find that it does not run well on your machine or that you do not like it as much as you are hoping.

What is the status of the machine now? Windows 8 still boots? Ubuntu has been installed but will not boot? ???

If Windows 8 still boots it may help if you attach a screen shot of the Disk Management window.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm not a fan; I have called it Vista II since the Customer Preview days. I prefer Windows 7.

But, my experience is that once a person gets over the initial nausea it can be used like Windows 7 with just minor annoyances. I will say no more along these lines unless you decide to learn to live with it.

6. iowatt

iowatt Thread Starter

I've downloaded from their site, and yes, 8 is still installed and boots. I'm not overly picky, heck I'd be happy with vista...I just severely dislike 8. ;). I'm on my mobile, so can't do a screenshot.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You've downloaded the Ubuntu .iso? And that's all; you haven't created a bootable CD, DVD or USB flash drive?

Have you used recent editions (2011 or 2012) of Ubuntu? If not, you may find that getting used to it is as much effort as configuring Windows 8 to work and look pretty much like Vista or Windows 7.

8. iowatt

iowatt Thread Starter

Yes, just downloaded it.

9. iowatt

iowatt Thread Starter

sorry, didn't see the latter post...I've never used Ubuntu before. I was mostly interested in it because it was free, and have a couple of friends who use it and love it.

10. 1002richards

11. iowatt

iowatt Thread Starter

So there's no way to do it without burning it to a DVD? If so, I'll have to wait until after Christmas...the biggest DVD I have is 4.37 GB. Thanks all for your help!

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You can also use a USB flash drive, and at least until recently Ubuntu still fit on a CD.

13. 1002richards

The image will either fit on a standard DVD (or use a USB as suggested). I think the download is 800 - 900 whereas unti recently it was just under 700.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082171

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice