Ubuntu on Windows 8

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

iowatt

I am trying to install Ubuntu 12.10 on an HP I just bought with Windows 8 pre-installed. Needless to say, I'm not a fan of the new Windows...that being said, this is my first ever attempt at trying a different OS, and am running into problems.

I would appreciate any help I can get in lay-mans terms, please!! ;)

The error I keep getting is that Ubuntu is missing the wubildr.mbr file, and cannot boot. But when I look at my control panel, it is in the Ubuntu folder. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it a couple of times, to no avail.

All I know for sure, is that if I cannot get rid of Windows 8, this new laptop is useless to me...I cannot stand this OS....worst Microsoft product I've ever used! (sorry if any of you are fans!) :eek:

Any help would be much appreciated! :D

1002richards

Retired Trusted Advisor
Hi and welcome,

Just to clarify - do you want to wipe Windows entirely and just have Ubuntu? Or, Ubuntu within Windows using Wubi? Or a traditional dual boot (partitioned drive)?
All are quite simple but require different guidance.

Before starting - make a backup of all your important docs, pics etc to an external drive - just in case!

Richard

iowatt

I wouldn't mind getting rid of windows 8 entirely, as long as Ubuntu is stable, which it sounds like it is. It's a brand new computer, so nothing personal on it yet. Thanks so much! ;)

TerryNet

Terry
Have you run Ubuntu as a Live CD ("trial" or "try" instead of "install" when you first boot the disk)? You may find that it does not run well on your machine or that you do not like it as much as you are hoping.

What is the status of the machine now? Windows 8 still boots? Ubuntu has been installed but will not boot? ???

If Windows 8 still boots it may help if you attach a screen shot of the Disk Management window.

TerryNet

Terry
I cannot stand this OS....worst Microsoft product I've ever used! (sorry if any of you are fans!)
I'm not a fan; I have called it Vista II since the Customer Preview days. I prefer Windows 7.

But, my experience is that once a person gets over the initial nausea it can be used like Windows 7 with just minor annoyances. I will say no more along these lines unless you decide to learn to live with it.

iowatt

Have you run Ubuntu as a Live CD ("trial" or "try" instead of "install" when you first boot the disk)? You may find that it does not run well on your machine or that you do not like it as much as you are hoping.

What is the status of the machine now? Windows 8 still boots? Ubuntu has been installed but will not boot? ???

If Windows 8 still boots it may help if you attach a screen shot of the Disk Management window.
I've downloaded from their site, and yes, 8 is still installed and boots. I'm not overly picky, heck I'd be happy with vista...I just severely dislike 8. ;). I'm on my mobile, so can't do a screenshot.

TerryNet

Terry
I've downloaded from their site
You've downloaded the Ubuntu .iso? And that's all; you haven't created a bootable CD, DVD or USB flash drive?

heck I'd be happy with vista...I just severely dislike 8
Have you used recent editions (2011 or 2012) of Ubuntu? If not, you may find that getting used to it is as much effort as configuring Windows 8 to work and look pretty much like Vista or Windows 7.

iowatt

sorry, didn't see the latter post...I've never used Ubuntu before. I was mostly interested in it because it was free, and have a couple of friends who use it and love it.

iowatt

Like TerryNet said, try before installing to see what you think & that it works OK with your hardware.
Guide to 'trying' here: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/try-ubuntu-before-you-install

You need to burn (not copy) .iso to DVD first though, guide here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

If Ubuntu doesn't suit you, then loads more distros to try here: http://distrowatch.com/

Enjoy!
So there's no way to do it without burning it to a DVD? If so, I'll have to wait until after Christmas...the biggest DVD I have is 4.37 GB. Thanks all for your help!

TerryNet

Terry
You can also use a USB flash drive, and at least until recently Ubuntu still fit on a CD.

1002richards

Retired Trusted Advisor
The image will either fit on a standard DVD (or use a USB as suggested). I think the download is 800 - 900 whereas unti recently it was just under 700.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online